Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How to remove sticky tape from coin?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  5:18 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

A mate brought over his TV M mintmark dollar. Apparently he bought it from the Post Office but the packaging has come appart and it was held in place with sticky tape. Of course in the heat the sticky tape has gone like glue and melted itself all over the coin. How do I clean it off?

Our dollars are 92% copper, 6% aluminium, 2% nickel.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learjet, I suspect the lack of answers is because the normal suggestion would be acetone. It works well on older coins of silver. I have good luck with it on older copper coins, but be very careful with newer coins, I have heard it will affect the coins finish. Good luck. Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
1395 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a product here in the States called "Goo Gone". It works really well removing stickers, tape, etc and does not contain acetone. It would have to be washed off and dryed very well but, it would work. It shouldn't do any damage to the coin. Dry with a soft, cotton cloth..do not rub...pat instead...gently
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2007  10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never tried it on coins but I know lighter fluid will get rid of the sticky residue on just about everything else. I don't know if it will do anything to the coins or not but I don't think it should but thats a part someone else will have to answer but I know it will get rid of the sticky residue if you can't find anything else that will
Pillar of the Community
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OldDan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only time that I can remember having this problem, I finally ended up using WD-40 spray. I sprayed on a small amount, and let it sit for awhile. I then ran cold water over the coin and it removed both the spray and the sticky gunk that has accumulated on the coin.

Not sure if it will work for you, but it sure won't hurt anything either. Good luck.
Learn More...
Australia
11139 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go with acetone. If acetone is unavailable or otherwise deemed undesirable, your other option is eucalyptus oil - that will get the stickytape residue off, but I don't know if there'd be any unwanted side effects. You might want to test it first on a shinier dollar pulled from change.

Either way, the tape will likely have caused some kind of chemical reaction with the surface, if it's been there a while - don't be surprised if you can still see a "stripe" even after after the sticky stuff is removed. If the coin is like that, there's not much you can do without "crossing the line" into cleaning.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3688 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's 2 products that I've used for removing glue residue, but not on coins. Big Kev's Goo Remover & DeSolve-It. Both used to be in with the cleaning products in the supermarket & both are natural based citrus products. I'd say Big Kev's would no longer be available, but you might be lucky & find some DeSolve-It. Another good glue residue remover is Isopropyl Alcohol (if you can source it). Don't know what effect it might have on the coin though. Whatever you decide to use, make sure to try it out on common coins first.

Good luck, I hope you manage to get it off without harming the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
661 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  04:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add muckeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australian product "Zoff", described as Universal Adhesive Remover.
Ingredients; dipropylene glycol methyl ether, C10-11 isopraaffin, aloe extract, benzyl alcohal, BHA, Fragrance.
Used in hospitals to remove adhesive bandages.
I've never tried it on coins but brilliant on other gooey stuff.
Chemists also sell other similar products described as 'medical adhesive remover'. Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  06:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently this isn't all that happened to the coin. He forgot to take it out of his pocket when he got home and his clothes, coin, sticky tape and card all went into the wash! There seems to be some other residue on the coin as well as sticky tape. Maybe from the washing powder. Thought I washed it off but.. tried a couple of things and it didn't go too well. There's a big obvious stain on the coin now and it won't come off. I think it's had it.

Funny thing is there was also a spot of dirt on the Queen's forehead which did come off leaving a big hole in her head! The dirt must have been there when the coin was stamped.

Poor coin has been through the wringer Lol.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12664 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are intent on removing all that junk from the coin remember there is a chance you will also do a little damage to that coin. However, start with items you are familiar with and are not explosive or dangerous. Try standard rubbing alcohol. Don't rub, just soak and them if it the stuff starts coming off, rinse with distilled water and try again. If this fails you could also try Acetone. Use the standard grade stuff found at Walmart, Kmart, Ace hardware, etc. in the paint section. Again, rinse with distilled water. If these fail you may want to try more dangerous things like lighter fluids, Laquer thinners, etc. However, always rinse with distilled water when finished with any such attempts. Dry by placing on a soft towel and blow dry with a hair dryer. Never rub to get rid of the contaminates or the distilled water rinse.
NOTE. When using all such chemicals as explained on this forum remember that no one here will help you rebuild your house, rebuild the room you tried the cleaning in nor will anyone here visit you in the hospital if any of the chemicals create a problem. Be very carefull.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BRUCE 1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dsking, is right about goo gone it works very well you can buy it at wal-mart or any hardware store.

Bruce.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit far from goo gone wal-mart Bruce. I'll try some of the other things mentioned though.

If I do blow myself up I would like hospital visits. Thanks in advance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BRUCE 1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learjet,
I am sorry, I did not see you were from downunder before I made my post, try the others they might work just try not to scratch the coin and you will do fine good luck.

Bruce.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1395 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The WD40 is also a good idea. Do you have WD40 in Aussieland?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1251 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add humpybong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found eucalyptus oil removes sticky tape residue from the packing but have never tried it on a coin.

You would have to be careful no matter what you used to ensure there will be no damage to the coin.

Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2007  11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gusp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father used to have the same problem with his head. He used to glue on a Toupe. The toupe had surgical tape glued to it. He would then coat glue to the other side of the surgical tape and stick it on his head. When he pulled off the toupe sometimes the tape would stick to his head. We used rubbing alcohol to remove it. It was difficult though because we were always laughing too hard to keep our hands steady. Perhaps this alcohol will work on your coin if used darefully. Beware though, If your coin starts acting weird it could be from the effects of the glue...

P.S. Olive oil should remove it without damage if you let it soak a few days. Afterwords, Dry the oil with a clean soft cotton cloth by dabbing it. Do not rub the coin. It should remove it. G.L. Gusp
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05