Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Todays Half Dollar box break Down

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5467 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  7:31 pm Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Got another $500 dollar box of Half dollars today. Here is what I came up with.
1964 x1
1965 x4
1967 x3
1968 x5
1969 x3

1987P x1

This is the second 87 I have found this year.
Only need to find a 1970 and I will have a complete set from 64 to 2002 pulled from circulation

Richard Barnes www.mycoins.us
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Coins for trade
http://www.mycoins.us/Trade/CCFtrades.htm
Rest in Peace
United States
3730 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gary Burke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard:

I'm curious. Do you feel that your finds were worth the effort?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5467 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  8:10 pm  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It keeps me off the streets and out of the pool halls.
I have in the past found some really nice Franklin's and even a few mid grade Walkers.
It takes about an hour to go through a box (1000 coins) the average box yields between $25 and $30 worth of silver. The best I have done is three rolls of 64 Kennedy's in one box the worst is no silver but there is always something a proof or a very nice BU coin. So an average for $25 for an hours work. Yes I think its worth it.

Now the real answer it may take an hour to search a box but it takes Another hour at least to re-roll the coins. So thats down to $12.50 and hour on average still worth the time I think. I just sold 5 rolls of Silver I pulled from boxes on eBay for a little under $100 a roll. If I had the funds I would do it far more often.

Coins for trade
Pillar of the Community
United States
2879 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  8:31 pm  Show Profile Check TheForce's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not even sure my credit union has boxes of halves.
Learn More...
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I'm not even sure my credit union has boxes of halves.

lolol. I know that my bank doesn't. I have yet to work up the courage to ask them to buy a box for me...I guess all they can say is no.
Confucius say "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life."

Our members sell on eBay too!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5467 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  8:47 pm  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just be nice, and when you ask them and promise not to bring the coins back to them.
I order from my credit union, wrap the coins and take them to the local supermarket branch of my bank. They know me well there and you can see them shudder when I show up with my box in hand. I cause the credit union no problems with excess coins so they have no problem including a box of half dollars for me in their general change order. The bank has never been that helpful to me so I have no guilty feelings about turning in the rolls there.
Coins for trade
Pillar of the Community
United States
2879 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  8:49 pm  Show Profile Check TheForce's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have gotten boxes of cents and nickels and had no problems returning the rolls back to them. I would think being a bank they would have to accept your deposit, no matter the form.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5467 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  9:00 pm  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They may have to accept your deposit but my local bank teller has a dislike for roll hunters and has been known to hold the deposit for a day or two while the rolls are checked. I prefer to just exchange the rolls for cash rather than deposit them. The branch at the supermarket does this without complaint though they don't look forward to lugging the box back to the safe. When I bought coins from the bank they would only order if they needed the change so If I took a box of Half dollars to them and asked them to order me another one they would not do so as they had one on hand (the one I just brought back)My Credit union orders change about once every two weeks and as I don't return my half dollars there they have none on hand and have no problem ordering me a box. I hope I have explained it in a way that makes sense.
Coins for trade
Pillar of the Community
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add garylcsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you just have to remember to never return your coin's to the same plase you buy them from. sooner or later you will only be getting the same searched coins again. I buy from a bank near me and return them to another branch. or buy from Chase and return to BofA.
it works for me.
Gary
Pillar of the Community
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tpatna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you had a lot of fun hunting through those for treasure
Thanks for sharing your finds
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2007  10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drycreek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nohope587,

What is the significance of the 87 p coin?
I don't know that much about half dollars (only what I have learned here!)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5467 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2007  08:01 am  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No half dollars were issued for circulation in 1987 only in mint sets. So to find one in Circulation means some one broke it out of a mint set to spend.
Coins for trade
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2007  11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tykimeister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever gotten a bunch of rolls that are still in the original rolls? Like all the same year and brand new?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5467 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2007  1:22 pm  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got one box a few years ago that was all 1995 P BU I saved ten rolls and sold the rest.
Coins for trade
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2007  3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tykimeister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice

So if I go to my local Wells Fargo headquarters, do you think they would order a box of $500 in half dollars for me?
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2007  4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mooseknuckle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of returning my halves to the bank, I just spend them :)

It takes a while, but it's fun...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05