Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

I'm confused? MS70 vs PF70

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bidswinger
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2007  2:42 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bidswinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Based on my own logic and how I interpret the chart on 1 of the other threads, I would thing a PF70 coin would be of greater value than a MS70 coin, but it seems I can get a PF70 2007 Silver Eagle for much less than a MS70 Silver Eagle. Am I confused? Thanks!

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16059 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2007  3:09 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, Bidswinger. Yours is a sensible question, with a reasonable answer. Regardless of the relative mintages, there are a lot more PF70's than MS70's. Business strikes are not struck and handled with the care that Proofs are - they strike 'em, throw 'em in a bag and ship them out to be rolled. It's a rare coin indeed which survives this process both unmarked, and with the perfect strike required of an MS70. On the other hand, though, the Mint has Proof production down to such a science that a PF70 is not all that rare a thing any more.

PCGS has graded 12 MS70 Silver Eagles between 1986-2006, total, and 5457 PF70's.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2007  3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the reason behind this is because the proofs were made for collectors and meant to be taken care of by them, the Mint State coins are made for general public and for someone to see in advance to take the best possible coin out of circulation and put it in a safe place for all those years makes it worth more money. Of course this doesn't apply to silver eagles because they were never meant to be spent and could just be the dates of the coins themself
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05