Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old French pieces - one of Letzeburg?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2217 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2007  01:57 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NumisMattyUk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

OK what do you think of these and what's to do with this one from "Letzeburg"?

Can anyone tell me something about these I have collected. Thanks...

Edited by NumisMattyUk
05/11/2007 1:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2217 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2007  02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumisMattyUk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why has it all gone wrong?
Learn More...
Australia
11233 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2007  04:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To get a picture to show up in the forum, all you need to do is put the URL, and only the URL (no spaces or tother funky text) in between [img] and [/img].

Thus, saying [img]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/mcguinness123/french.jpg[/img]
will show up as:

Whenever I post pics or smilies, I always use the "preview reply" button before hitting "submit", to make sure I've got the code right.

Now, to your coins...

"Letzeburg" is German (or perhaps Luxembourgish) for "Luxembourg" and appears sometimes on their coins.

The aluminium ones with "Travail Familie Patrie" were issued during WWII by the collaborationist Vichy State.

The 1920 half franc is from Switzerland; both it and the old 50 centimes are made of silver.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2078 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2007  07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ageka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luxemburg has their own dialect they call Letzemburgisch or something like it
It is mainly very difficult german if they pardon my simplification

Untill the Euro their money was coined in belgium
They would all accept the belgian coins but the belgians would not accept the luxemburger coins even if the rate was allways one on one

Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
529 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2007  08:14 am  Show Profile Check maudry's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just some additions to the Luxembourg coin.
Letzeburg (or Letzebuerg in the new spelling) is the Luxembourgish word for the country. On the modern coins you will only find legends in French or Luxemburgish on the coins.
Your coin has been first released in 1952 and could be found in circulation until +/-1989. In 1965 a new type has been released with the head of the New Grand-Duke. In the early 80s people started to collect this coin and it had almost completely disappeared from circulation.
The coin is still well known in Luxembourg as Feierstepler.
searching cents to quarters, giving Euro coins and world coins from many countries:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=137740

searching contact to advanced collectors of french coins send me a message, if interested
Valued Member
Ireland
112 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2007  05:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Banjax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey sap, iv a good few of those swiss 1/2 francs and french 50 centimes, you said the old ones were made of silver. what year did both countries change the composition of the coins?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05