Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

brand new; where to start?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  1:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add naomi02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

My husband has always kept a change jar by the door & it got pretty full so the kids and I started rolling the coins to put in our "Disneyland fund". We found quite a few wheatbacks & it got us started looking for anything else special.

My son, especially, is getting pretty excited about it....he's 7. So where would be a good place to start? So far we've just mainly been looking for wheatbacks, anything pre-1982 and I'm saving the 92,93, 99, and 2000 pennies to look at the AM (which I have to admit, I can't really tell the difference)

I think I'll probably order him one of those state quarters books, but he really is more excited about looking for the older coins.

Learn More...
United States
21618 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
Canada
257 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelphr33k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard! I pretty much got back into collecting (I had a small coin collection as a kid) by going through a friends five jars of change. I am from Canada and this was around the time when pennies were discontinued here. I love the hobby and will never stop learning. This forum is great.
United States
0 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naomi02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I need a magnifying glass .... my eyes are not good enough for this! :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3220 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  4:09 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
! This is a hobby I share with my son as well. Using a loupe will help with the eye strain. I prefer 10x, my husband prefers 15x to 20x. They should not be more than $20 (mine was $12) and we got ours through Wizard Coin Supply.

I started with my son when he as 6'ish and he is now 13. My son's interest decreases for awhile but he always drifts back to it. The one thing that keeps him interested is taking him to local coin shows. Usually dealers at shows will spend extra time with young collectors if they are not super busy and my son has received plenty of fun stuff for free from them.

I hope this turns into a fun hobby for the both of you!
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

To know who you are, you have to know who you were.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2384 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Naomi02 Sounds like a great start. Wheat Cents are very collectable.
There are a number of different coins in circulation that you should be looking for. There are two references that I refer to all the time, "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" by Ken Potter and Dr. Brian Allen. "Cherrypickers' Guide" by Bill Fivaz & J.T. Stanton.
You should also have the Red Book " A Guide Book of United States Coins" by R.S. Yeoman.
All these could be found at book stores ie. Barnes/Noble or as used books on line.
Used books are the cheaper way to go with the same information.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11213 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.A 10x loupe a good light source and a cent folder is a good start.Go slow and have fun.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3154 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  7:42 pm  Show Profile Check noahs-numismatics's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add noahs-numismatics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
!

Quote:
Go slow and have fun.

Only thing I would add (which really is covered under the fun part ) is to make sure you learn as much as you can about what you can find!
My want list!

Check out my website!
Buying and Selling Currency of all types and years:
http://noahs-numismatics.com/
Edited by noahs-numismatics
05/30/2013 7:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4403 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2013  11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My advice, is be patient. You never know what you'll find if you take your time. And of course, have fun with it!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05