Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 $100 bill from bank

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
891 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2007  8:31 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I picked this up about 2 weeks ago. It's in good shape (don't really know how to grade bills that good) but it does have a partial bank stamp on the front. I was quite surprised, I don't see that many small head bills any more. Is there any worth over face with this bill or is it a long time coming. By the way what grade would you put on this.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2007  8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with out looking at my book I would say EF . Very nice I would Keep it .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2007  8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also interested in the value. Nice find. I do keep any older bills that are in keeper condition. That one would definitely be a keeper for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2007  9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It list as $125.00 in CU You Might even get a Au grade on the note . And remmber My book is from 2004 so I am sure ther have been some price changes. If it was Mine I would keep it aside .
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2007  10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks scoutjim for the assessment. It's going into the album with the other notes for safe keeping.
Be well.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2007  12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jim M. to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a keeper in my opinion. They don't make them anymore, and their value will only go up. I remember just a few years ago when the 1966 red seal $100s were dirt cheap...Not the case now! Once enough people realize how quickly these nice old-style Franklins are disappearing, they will command some respect. ~Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2007  08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This style note is certainly disappearing. This one came out of a $8000 batch of 100's and was the only one of this style.
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2007  10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gatzdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The concern I have with the $100's is that the majority of US Cash holders overseas hold their currency in $100 bills. Now for a person/group/company that has US Cash holdings for decades and didn't fall for the "Exchange your old for new bills before the old are devalued scam", just how many of these old bills are sitting in vaults worldwide?

Don't get me wrong, I hold onto all older $100's that I come across regardless of condition along with $1's, $2's, $5's, $10's, $20's and $50's. It's my emergency fund. The beauty of it is, it has to be a true emergency before I consider tapping into it.

Now $50's I think will go up in value faster than the $20's and $100's only for the fact that people with large quantities of cash are more likely to have $20's or $100's.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2007  10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amazon99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2007  4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scottishmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The majority of the older $100 bills are no longer in circulation overseas. I can tell you from personal experience that especially in ex -USSR countries no one will even consider taking an older small head bill as payment. The reason, they are not familiar with it. The new 1996 + bills actually circulated more overseas than in the USA. So with that in mind, the only older ones still out there are in the USA now.

It is not like the old days when people held onto things like this:

In safe deposit boxes, safes etc. Frankly they would have been better off putting the money in a FDIC insured savings account earning interest, even at the prices these notes go for today the money in a savings account would have been worth far more. But I am glad someone held onto this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2007  5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice looking note. Old money is so cool.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2007  11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's 500 sweet ones! Very nice.
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2007  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gatzdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scottishmoney,

That depends on how you look at it. You see, the fed's stopped distributing your $500 bill about 20 years before the FDIC was even created.

Now suppose that non-insured savings account was at one of those banks at the heart of the savings&loan scandals, which one is worth more today.

Just something to think about regarding what motivated people to save cash in the past.
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2007  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gatzdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PS, that is a nice $500 bill. Makes me wish I bought one back in the 90's when most had less than a couple hundred dollar premium.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2007  7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ElCerritoCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I knew more about bank notes - just recently took an interest in them as I bought a $50 recently from 1929. Took me a while to figure out exactly what type it was too :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2007  01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all the new coin collectors out there I'm pretty sure that more collectors will bring up the price in notes. No matter what happens to the price, I still think the $100 and $500 are SWEET!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05