Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

OPA*RED*POINT Y 1 you - Token?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
153 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2007  6:56 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add just4fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This one is red and Identical Obverse/Reverse. Any and all information welcome.

Thank you,

Beckie

Image: opa.jpg
65.42 KB

***Edited by Forum Dad to move to correct forum.***

Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2007  7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OPA stands for Office of Price Administration

First issued in 1944

Stopped being issued in 1945

Used to ration retail items during the end of WWII. The items rationed included canned goods, meats, sugar, coffee, tires, gas and more.

Nobody has found a true reason for the letters on the OPA's. Theories include, they are random; demographics; and prevention of counterfitting.

Red letter combinations known. HC, HT, MV, MM, TH, TY, UC, UH, UT, UV, UX, UY, VC, VH, VT, VU, VX, VY, XC, XH, XT, XU, XV, XY, YC, YH, YT, YU, YV, YX.

Blue letter combinations known. CC, CH, CT, CV, CX, HH, HU, HV, HX, HY, TC, TT, TU, TV, TX, UU, VV, WC, WH, WT, WU, WW, XX, YY

The rarest is the red MV. The next rarest are the red MM and the blue WW, WC, WH. Then blue WU, HX and red YC, XC. The rest are fairly easy to find. Reds are a lot more common than blues.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2007  7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YEP
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2007  7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scottishmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have quite a few red points and a handful of blues, in addition I have an original holder for them. I looked through them once and found an MM one which I sent to a collector of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2007  7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to see a holder for them, I collect them as well, unfortunately I have to learn a lot more about them

***Edited by Forum Dad to remove yelling.***
Edited by scoutjim99
07/29/2007 7:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2007  12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ducky1100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here we go Folks, Ask and you shall receive.

Here is a picture of the Rarest RED OPA TOKEN the "MV"

Next we have a couple pictures of the "HOLDER"

GO has given an EXCELLANT description and background of the OPA TOKENs (I couldn't have done better myself).
I have collected these little pieces of Celulose (sp) for a few years now and again, thanks to GO, I have managed to complete 2 sets of RED. Also in my collection of these tokens I have managed to obtain 2 complete of UNCIRCULATED BLUE, another real good find considering the condition.
For those of you who are collecting them, I have many, many x-tra RED Tokens. Send me an email, and we'll see what we can workout.

Thanks,
ducky1100
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2007  07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scottishmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My token holder is a bit different, it is some kind of cardboard or fibreboard with metal ends. I will dig it out today and photograph it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2007  07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scottishmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This whole mess came from a neighbour of mine that was selling off a whole lifetime accumulation of everything imaginable when he retired. I think for this whole lot here I paid something like 75 for it. Somewhere I have some of the ration coupon books with the little stamps in it. Accd. to my grandmother the red points were for meat, the blue points were for canned goods. She remembers that she never used the coffee stamps, and traded them for sugar stamps with my Great Grandmother.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2007  10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ducky1100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scottishmoney,
I have never seen a holder like yours, now the "HUNT" is on again. I want one of those to add to my collection.
Your holder seems to be more period authentic. I kind of always wondered about the plastic holder, it just doesn't seem right to be something that would be from the 1944-1945 range. The only thing is, I have seen 12 or 13 advertised as OPA Token Holders?
Anyway, Thank You for the picture, it has increased my knowledge as to these odd little Tokens.

Thanks,
ducky1100
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2007  10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Cool I have started a set of Blue and Red.
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2007  11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scottishmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your red and blue token holder is more likely a holder for state tax tokens from the 1950's, I base that on the celluloid look of the holder. States such as Arizona, Utah, New Mexico issued 1 and 5 mill tax tokens, the 1 mills were usually aluminium whilst the 5 mills were usually in bronze.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2007  12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ducky1100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is your holder double ended, able to insert tokens on both ends or will it accept tokens only one end?

Mine is approx. 2" long. The covers on the springs, the part that actually pushes the tokens out, is made of the same celluloid material that the tokens themselves are.

I'm not sure of the max capacity, I have had 14 of each color (Red & Blue) in their respective colored side. I'm sure the holder would take a couple more tokens but I don't want to force it and damage the spring.

Again, thanks for the info.

That's what makes this a Great Place, the wealth of Knowledge and the kindness to share it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
597 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2007  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scottishmoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is double sided, the sides are made from the same red fibre board material that the tokens are made of. It is spring loaded with the spring behind a metal "button" that pushes the tokens out. It holds about 15-20 tokens on each side.

The purpose of these tokens was to give change from ration book stamps, you had to give so many "points" for each food item purchased, for instance 9 points for a can of peas, but you usually had coupons for 10 points, before 1944 you lost the 1 point in the transaction and ended up buying less food with your "points". Because of so much contemporary griping the OPA started making these tokens, red and blue to distribute to stores to give as change. Blues were for most canned goods, the reds were for meat, poultry, eggs, and all dairy stuff.

When I see my grandmother this afternoon, I am going to take these with me and ask her about them again. She has helped with several of these 1930's and 1940's mysteries.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05