Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Misprint Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2007  4:44 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add italianstallion to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello. I found this misprinted nickel in my pocket and wanted to know if it's worth any more than 5 cents!

Its a 1999 P and on the right side of the heads side, it appears as if it was minted deeper than the other side, and the coin is thicker on that side. Hopefully my pictures explain it all.

Thanks

Image: PICT2258.JPG
34.3 KB

Image: PICT2257.JPG
64.93 KB

Edited by italianstallion
08/26/2007 4:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2007  5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bitters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's caused by slightly misaligned dies. Instead of the die faces being even with each other, they're at a slight angle. Does the look of the coin make sense now, with this in mind? Also note how you basically have no rim on the one side, and an extra high one on the other...they call that high side "finning" of the rim, I guess because it looks like a tail fin on the old cars.

As for value, I don't think it's extreme enough of an "error" for any premium, but I'd hang on to it as a curiosity since it only cost 5c.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2358 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2007  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) It is not misprinted, that is for paper, as in currency.
2) A coin may be mis-struck, never misprinted.
3) Yup, looks good, a nice high rim.
It is a keeper.
TreasHunt
Rest in Peace
United States
3730 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2007  2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gary Burke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A neat error collectible!
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2007  4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigoletto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2007  5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a great looking error. I would definately hang on to that one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11345 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2007  7:55 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool coin!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12915 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2007  09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very common among Roosevelt dimes so I thought. I had so many I started to put them back into circulation. I go to coin shows all the time but seldom check out error coin tables. Some time ago I looked and there was those stupid coins with the enlarged rims selling for $1 to $10 each.
Yes, I'd save that one if I were you.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11897 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2007  12:40 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a MAD (MisAligned Die) if the reverse strike is Centered. But if both obverse and reverse are shifted the same, it could be a slightly off Center coin. Looks interesting though.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05