Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971 D Half Dollar Silver Clad Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2007  2:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Juno to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am 99.999999% positive I have this coin. How do I confirm this?
I really can't find a whole lotta info on it, the Red Book says that "some were struck in silver clad composition by error". That's it. I was looking up that coin in silver clad when I discovered that it wasn't a common coin. I didn't read about the error 1st, then go looking for it, which confirms it even more in my head. My husband has had it since childhood, in his silver collection.

The coin looks 100% silver, feels like silver, acts like silver and talks like silver. compared to many of it's siblings it looks completely different. Help please!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2642 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2007  2:44 pm  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Juno,

The only sure way to know for sure is to have it graded and certified by one of the reputable third-party graders (PCGS, NGC, or ANACS). It wouldn't be 100% silver, but it could be 90% (last minted in 1964) or more likely 40% (last minted in 1970). This could happen if a blank planchet from a previous run (or several runs if it is 90%) gets lodged somewhere in the hopper or conveyor and somehow frees itself years later. Or a mint employee advertently or inadvertently intervenes. Good luck.
So many coins, so little time ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2007  6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post a picture, it is possible to tell by the color. Also, handle the coin carefully and look at the edge. A silver clad half will look sorta gray on the edge. A copper-nickel composition coin will look gray and red (copper colored) If you see any red whatsoever, you have a copper nickel clad coin.

Also, many halves, have been plated over the years.

Look at the edge and then post a picture if you can.

Thanks,
Bill
Edited by foundinrolls
09/10/2007 6:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2007  01:47 am  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Juno,

The edge appearance gives you a good indication of what you have, but if you can accurately weigh your coin that should provide confirmation. A 90%-silver Kennedy half (1964) should weigh 12.50 grams, +/- a couple hundredths of a gram. A 40%-silver clad coin (1965 - 1970) should weigh 11.50 grams. The copper-nickel clad coins (1971 to present) should weigh 11.34 grams. If you have a genuine 1971-D struck on a silver or silver-clad planchet I'd guess it would be worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars. If I had such a coin I'd send it to ANACS or another top grading service immediately so it could be authenticated.

Please post pictures if you can!
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2007  08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
picture tell all most of the time!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05