Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1992 Wide "AM" Lincoln Cent variety

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Steve
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2007  12:18 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Steve to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm just wondering, in my Coin Values magazine it states there is a 1992 Lincoln and a 1992 wide "AM" variety. I know the difference when it comes to 1998, 1999 and the 2000 wide variety Lincolns. Is the 1992 wide "AM" the same? PCGS price doesn't even list this variety. If the definition is the same as the above mentioned coins, I have found several of the 1992 wide "AM" varieties and I thought that would be a little strange to have found so many. Is there a difference in the 1992 wide and close varieties? If so, what is the difference? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2007  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jorgy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the 1992d cent it is the close AM that is the rare one. Not sure if any of them came out of Philly, just know of the Denver ones.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2007  12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I see the listing for the 1992 D wide AM lincoln also in Coin Values, but it says there also is a 1992 P wide AM variety. I didn't know maybe if this was a misprint or what.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2007  1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No misprint...both mints exist in both varieties. Of course the wide AM is the common one for the year, and the close AM is the rare one.

To my best knowledge there are three known for the D mint and only one single example known for the P mint.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2007  1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, well my Coin Values mag says the 1992 wide AM is the rare one with no price whatsoever. It states the plain 1992 is common with prices ranging from $.05 up to $125.00. Do both of them have spaces in between the A and the M. I have found several of the 1992 Lincolns with the space between the A and M. They aren't touching at all. I didn't know maybe if I have come across something worthwhile here. Is the difference just like the 1998, 1999 and 2000 wide AM Lincolns?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2007  2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The difference is the same, only reversed. The scarce ones for 1998,1999, and 2000 are the same as the common one for 1992. The common ones for 1998, 1999, and 2000 are the sams as the scarce ones for 1992.

Your guide, if it says the 1992 wide AM is scarce, is wrong.

The term "wide AM" notes the normal reverse for 1989-1992 reverses. It has the space.

The term "close AM" notes the normal reverse for 1993-date reverses. It does not have the space.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2007  3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Steve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I thought too. I appreciate the help. Coin Values magazine does indicate what I have been saying, that the wide AM has no prices on it all and the 1992 (doesn't say wide or anything) is the common . I thought it might be too good to be true though. Thanks again for your help.

Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2007  10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two months ago I was at the local dealers shop here in Massachusetts
where I live and a regular customer came in with a 92 D Close. We all got a chance to look at before he sent it out.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2007  09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add greyhav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"The term "wide AM" notes the normal reverse for 1989-1992 reverses. It has the space.

The term "close AM" notes the normal reverse for 1993-date reverses. It does not have the space."

So let's see if I can ask this right: what year would have the most of the scarce variety? That is, so I can get the cheapest good quality example I can?

That's my usual MO, by the way. I generally like common date coins, so I can get good quality at low prices. I don't usually try to "invest".
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2007  10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what you mean, but as far as the WAM and CAM's
From least rarity factor and up:
2000 WAM
1998 WAM
1999 WAM (good premium on a good grade)
1992-D CAM (very good premium)
1992-P CAM (maybe way up there)(not sure on the "S")if it even exists
Also, 1998 and 1999 "S" CAM (valuable)
I also wonder if there are any pre 1993 CAM's out there besides ones listed here. Or other WAM's 93 on up.(any mint mark)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2007  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually the 1999 is worth a minimum of $300-$400 in pretty much any undamaged grade.
The 1992D is worth at least a thousand in any undamaged grade.
The 1992 is probably a $2000 coin in any undamaged grade.

The 1998S proof is far scarcer than the 1999S.

1998S has been around $1000 in the set, $500 out of the set.
1999S has been around $300 in the set, $100 out of the set.

Just so you understand regarding the proofs - they normally have the opposite reverse from the business strike coins from 1994 on...somehow a couple of close AM reverse dies found their way into striking proofs in 1998 and 1999.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2007  11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Coppercoins

Two questions ?
1. Where there "any" 98 or 99 S's minted business strike ?
2. Which, if any grading co. would be the best to send out too
if one of these coins. I read that anacs has more experience in grading
errors etc. For value sake anyway (coin)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05