Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 No VDB

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2007  8:16 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Seeing that 1989 post reminded me
about the no VDB. Anybody ever find one ?
Maybe post a pic. ? Rarity level ? Premium ?

Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2007  1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2007  6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
O.K.

So much for that question.

How about this one. Is there any premium whatsoever for
a "1989" lincoln cent with "NO" "VDB" present on the
coins obverse ?
(one that was never punched) not talking about a worn
coin or sanding or grinding off etc.
Maybe someone knows of the die variety for that particular
anomaly (good word to use instead of error or variety or ?
if indeed I did spell it correctly :)

Thank you for any info that you may supply.

Cute thingy there grace
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2007  08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check Coppercoins site I think I seen a DV listing there
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2007  09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank's Amac
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12375 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2007  1:53 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no such thing as the VDB not being punched. It is all part of the design. Letters/numbers/bust/Memorial/Wheats. What happens to them is that the die gets filled with grease or debris or just wears away. The don't punch the VDB, its part of the design. The only Cents without the VDB were the 1909-1917. 1918 to present they are part of the pattern.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Edited by coop
12/05/2007 1:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2007  4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank's

I did not know if it was a die variety or not.
Just a process anomaly.
I am trying to remember where I had read about
that particular year, that it had a premium on it for
that reason (no vdb). probably was one of those "what coins to look for sites" Oh well, I guess someone somewhere thinks they are worth
something.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12375 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2007  4:37 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, "Newbies" fall for anything. Try to sell worthless stuff to a die variety collector and he will say: Yeah, right! NOT!
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2007  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is true for sure.
i remember looking for one since 1990
and had it on my look for list.
never found one anyway, but never really
researched it back then enough. you tend to believe
what you read if it had to do with coins and somebody took the time
to write about it. I know, I have this 1955 penny and everytime I look
at it my eyes seem to cross and I see double :) read somewhere it was worth some money. nah, must be the ghost of Rock N Roll.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2008  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Marlin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually have one certified by PCI. Interesting feedback and conversation here. Would like to know more on how this might happen and other comments. According to my research this is quite rare? regards.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2008  8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no value. They used to sell for .20 to .25 cents. The VDB on Lincolns shoulder can be missing due to heavy die abrasion. It can also be from the result of a poor strike or being struck by a filled die. The reason they even sold at all was because someone was touting them as a rare error. It's numismatic baloney:-) If you look at enough coins, you can find NO VDB on just about any date of Lincoln cent due to the reasons stated above.

The fact that it is in a slab, doesnt mean much. It cost somebody some money to slab a twenty cent coin.

It is not a variety.
Edited by foundinrolls
01/05/2008 8:32 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05