Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Cleaning Steel Pennies

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
CommandD
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2007  7:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CommandD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What is the best way to clean a steel penny?

I recently purchased six rolls (2 of each mint mark) of steel pennies for 50 cents a roll.

The catch?

They had been exposed to moisture at some point and a white dusty residue covers all of the pennies.

Of course, about 10% are corroded and another 20% have red rust on parts of them (mostly the rims) but I want to save as many of them as possible.

What does the group recommend?

Distilled water?

Water with lemon juice?

Olive oil?

Acetone soak?

ultrasonic cleaner?

Dip?

Or a combination of the above?

My guess is I should try distilled water, moving on to olive oil, acetone and then ultrasonic cleaning.

Of course I will need to be especially sure to dry them really well and I'll experiment with just a few and end any cleaning with a distilled water rinse followed by an acetone rinse.

I appreciate any feedback.

Edited by CommandD
11/12/2007 7:41 pm
Forum Dad
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
6463 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2007  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Got me, let's see what others think.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11097 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2007  8:02 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with bobby, I seriously doubt you can do anything with those without totally trashing them.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2007  8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add garylcsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
43 cents will not clean well. that's why there are so many reprocessed coins out there. they will turn black from almost anything put on them. 50 cents a roll is a good deal at least you can spend them and see the face's of people when you give it to them lol
Gary
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2007  01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CommandD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll do a little experimenting and let you know if anything helps more than it hurts.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2179 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2007  01:24 am  Show Profile Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gary talk about "reprocessed coins" - how does that work and what will that do to the collect-ability values of the coin? How do you distinguish the two? Which would value more?

I went to a coins show yesterday and one seller tried to sell me a 43 pennies and said that it's "original, not reprocessed"; however, I saw there are some reddish at the inner edge of the rim....

Thanks.
*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade.
My coins for sale
Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8664 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2007  10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The white "residue" is zinc oxide where the zinc corroded to keep the steel from corroding. About the best you can do for those coins might be a drop of fine machine oil. It sholud make the zinc oxide less noticeable and the oil will helpto protect the metal from further corrosion.
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2007  06:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Transmission fluid works on steel coin
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2007  12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add garylcsr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a repossessed coin will always look like a double die when it is actually just the plating. if you don't see what looks like a double die look at it under your loupe. it will look bumpy. a nice ms coin will be smooth a plated will look bumpy
Gary
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2007  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add greyhav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a steel cent that I think was reprocessed. It's shiny, no scratches or lines, but the details are smoothed over (kind of like the 65, 66 SMS cents, but thicker looking).

My guess is that it was actually re-plated with a new thin layer of zinc. I would be easy to do.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2007  2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bonham3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to have some fun (you can also use this method for other
steel with rust) instead of using rust removal chemicals that are
dangerous and fumey etc. use an electrolytic rust remover. You can make one yourself at no cost and it works great. I do a little gun smithing work on the side and found this to work great on even small
parts. Works real fast and is safe if you follow the correct directions correctly. I will not post the items or directions as the method involves the use of electricity. You should have the knowledge
to apply this method safely. Of course you should always be supervised
by an experienced adult if you try this method.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12507 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2007  6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As noted the greyish stuff is Zinc Oxide. The intent was back then, in 1943, was to Zinc coat the cents to stop the steel, not iron, from rusting. Iron is pure Iron and these cents were made of steel. Steel is in reality a mixture of metals, not a compound. This also means that unless the mixture process is not done well the composition can vary meaning some will rust more than others. Regardless, although Stainless steel was known at the time, it was just not economical to use this so they just coated the steel with Zinc. Zinc,like Aluminum and some other metals, when Oxydized holds the Oxide to the metal to a fairly good degree. Entire Buildings in Chicago were constructed with Steel like this and the steel is on the outside of the structures and still looks like the day the built them. This means that the greyish coating on your coins is ment to be there and removing it would start the process of Oxydation all over again plus since the layer of Zinc is minor, you may end up exposing the Steel to Oxygen which will form the reddish material called Iron Oxide. Also, pending on the amount of Iron present in the Steel and the amount of Oxygen present, there are two different forulae for the end results.
In summation of this boring thread I would suggest you do nothing to any of the coins that only show greyish discolorations. If I were you I would sort these out and put them in plastic type rolls.
The ones with actual RUST has already lost much of the protective Zinc, so as some have noted the best thing now is a little Oil. Any type at all will suffice. WD-40 would clean them up a little and leave a coating to some degree. You must remember there is not a really big value on most of the 43 Steel Cents since many were made, no one is interested in them, most look like yours and some still turn up in change.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2007  12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found an away to clean the rust and junk from those penny's. Its makes them look real nice afterwards. Dont do this to the nice coins or bu coins.

1. Go to Home depot and buy Muriatic acid . Its pool cleaner or concrete cleaner. Don't smell the fumes it will burn you lungs. Its strong stuff that cleans the oil from drive aways and stuff.
2. Poor some in small container and use pliers to dip the coins for less than minute each or until clean. Rinse the coins with water afterwards real good.
3. When completed the coins look like dull grey not like brand new. The only way to make them look new is to re zinc them again. It does make them decent to install them in books becides heavy rusted or junk looking Penny's. I don't do it to those toned or decent looking old steels.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2007  1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot add an warning label to my post .

Always wear Safety Glasses to cover your eyes and use Rubber gloves using this acid I am talking about. Its bad stuff for sure and will burn you if you get on your skin. If under 18 get your parents to help you dip the pennys in acid like I am talking about. The more the acid is diluted with water the stuff is safer for sure.

This acid will not eat plastic since you need an plastic containtor to put acid in an containor. Dont use an metal containor it will ruin it. I use spray paint containor tops to dip my pennys. Reason it has an small insert in there. If spilled it will stay inside the plastic containor.

Just be safe with stuff for sure.

Regards Chevrolet454ss
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
11139 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2007  5:44 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The acid mention seem to harsh for coins. The thought makes me shudder.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8664 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2007  11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Muratic acid is very powerful stuff and fairly concentrated. It is not something to play around with

quote:
The more the acid is diluted with water the stuff is safer for sure.

If you do experiment with muratic acid and you want to dilute it always remember this safety rule. Always add acid to water, Never add water to acid. The reason is adding water and acid often releases heat and can cause the mixture to pop and "spit" giving off a shower of droplets. If you add acid to water the droplets will be mostly water, but if you add water to acid the droplets will be concentrated acid.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05