Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Double Struck Roman Coin, (Gallic Empire 270-274 AD)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
286 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2007  6:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Silver Gorilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello every one, Got something for the roman collectors, A long time ago I found this in Tripoli Libya, near a Roman ancient city of Leptis Magna, now a Archaeological site, I was walking around in the ruins looking so very lost until I sat down by what looks like a Villa , and just found this laying there, I snaged it and put it in my pocket, I believe this coin is one of Caius Pius Esuvius Tetricus, known in English as Tetricus II, was the son of Tetricus I, emperor of the Gallic Empire 270-274. That's if I'm right, well I just want to know what would something like this cost, or what would its value be , any help here.

Image: 1.jpg
49.54 KB

Image: 2.jpg
50.21 KB

Edited by Silver Gorilla
12/03/2007 8:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2007  6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an amazing find! To think that coin was laying there all that time somehow hidden...until you looked in the right spot! (Do not try this in Egypt or Greece, lol)
Valued Member
286 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2007  7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silver Gorilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I did kick the dirt that was around it lol, then it popped up, there where lots more of roman coins but I couldn't just start picking them up, people where looking from left to right watching each other, then there where the undercover Libyan cops looking at almost every one, watching every ones move.
Edited by Silver Gorilla
12/03/2007 8:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2007  11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that this coin is Claudius II. The obverse legend ends in AVG, and issues by Tetricus II as Augustus are not that common, plus it just looks more like Claudius II. As far as value, it is poorly struck. Some people collect error coins, but this one is not a great strike and has incomplete legends, so value is very subjective. These Gallic coins are also very common, but I would say $10-20, maybe more or maybe less, depending on the vagaries of the market!

Learn More...
Australia
11285 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2007  02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Error coins tend not to command much of a premium for ancients. Given the slack quality control compared to today's modern mint facilities, it's the error-free, perfectly struck, well centred coins that are in the minority and command a premium.

I have to say, little alarm bells are going off in my head as I read your story of how you acquired this piece. It's way too similar to the common "tourist ruse", used throughout the Middle East: a bunch of locals take the tourists (for a fee) out to a "ruin nobody else knows about", where there are ancient coins just lying all over the place.

In fact, those coins were "seeded" there by those very same locals a few days previously, and the coins are either fakes or (in very rare cases) genuine ones they've bought in bulk. The locals in these places have been pulling this stunt for centuries.

Coins are heavy (dense), and bury themselves easily. A coin just sitting on the ground will be quickly buried (watch Time Team and see just how far down they have to go to find Roman coins!), which will both protect it from the elements and hide it from casual discovery. If the environment isn't conducive to burial (eg the site is on top of an eroding hill), unprotected copper coins, exposed to the elements for 1700 years, would most likely have completely corroded away by now.

Coins don't come out of the ground looking like that; it would have needed cleaning. How has this coin been cleaned?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
286 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2007  4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silver Gorilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes you got a very good point there Sap...... Now you got me thinking about this coin, and the rest of the other coins that I found, but one problem, let's just say that the other coins that I found where in a small jar buried almost at 3 feet and a half, and found them with a metal detector, would I need to get them authenticated, plus the one that's double struck. You really got me going there, good point about them locals........... If it is possible for you to provide me information on authenticating Roman Coins, like an auction. or somewhat like an auction, but professionally
Learn More...
Australia
11285 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2007  07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins found in a genuine archaeological context (ie with real archaeologists doing the excavating) should be OK (though again, there was that Time Team episode where someone planted a fake ancient coin in the trench overnight, where the team found it the next day... caused a bit of a stir until the guy owned up to it).

The easiest way to spot a fake is to find an exact match on a fake coin database like the one over on FORVM. Absence from the list is not proof of authenticity, but presence on the list certainly is reason to doubt.

It's difficult to definitively declare "fake" or "genuine", for all but the most obvious cases, based just on pictures. Show the coins in person to just about any expert in ancients, either dealer or collector, and they'll probably be able to form a better opinion.

If don't have any ancients experts nearby, there are a couple of "third parties" you could send it to. ICG is the only American third party grading company to routinely slab ancients (though you should be aware that most ancients collectors loathe slabs). And David Sear is the author of the Greek and Roman catalogues - he runs an authentication service, and provides historic background for the coin. Their services are expensive, so you'd only do this for a coin that was worth the cost.

And note that even in person, a good fake can fool the experts.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
286 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2007  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silver Gorilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(Thanks Sap)I really appreciate your information that you have provided, especially the fake coin database from this thread (FORVM)
Edited by Silver Gorilla
12/08/2007 3:09 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05