Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New trick on finding Silver dimes or quarters in Bank boxes

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2008  05:25 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi,

I learned new trick today after searching Bank boxes for silver coins and not needing up to open rolls to look at each coin or even open the rolls. It worked and went through 1250 face on dimes in less than 2 hours compared to spending 10 or 20 hours or more searching that many dimes. This will not work in Fedbox that are paper wraped but it will work on Bank boxes from Brinks or clear plastic rolls where you see through it and see the coins . I may try on quarter boxes if can ordor an large shipment of them. Out 1250 face on dimes I found two silver dimes totol. 1951 and 1963 denver in that mess of 1250 worth of dimes.

I learned 1965 through 2007 has the reeded edge has copper or brown line in all there dimes , quarters or halfs or anything that is sandwich clad. On pre 1964 coins they were silver or solid white with no trace copper reeded edge.

There is no need to open each roll in those clear plastic tubes and spend hours looking at dates or rewraping them. Each time you see an silver line or an dime with has no brown on it. Its silver dime or burned or totol black 65 through 2007 dime. It worked on those clear plastic tubes from Brinks where you can see dimes. I pulled two silver dimes out the 1250 face on them like that. Onley time needed to open roll if you see coin if you think an silver coin. I onley opened up less than 20 rolls out the 250 rolls of dimes I looked at and found two silver dimes and serval solid black dimes in those boxs.

This will work if dont need to look for certain dates or mint marks on those clear plastic coin tubes or Brinks coin boxs. I would not waste your time searching paper wraped bank rolls using this method. I went through maybe thousand dollars on dimes and quarters and never found them intill today intill after buying 1250 worth them. Those silver dimes are super hard to find these days. I wanted to buy nickels or pennys but my bank would onley sell me there dimes since they had an overstock on them. I was thinking about going through dimes in past and never finding anything. Why waste my time. I took an change and bought those boxes today and thinking I dont want open each roll or deal with them since I dont like dimes.

After I learned this trick I may ordor an large shipment on quarters and dimes to try find to silver dimes or quarters to try fill my book at home.

Good luck on finding silver quarters or dimes using my new trick. It faster and you dont need spend hours looking at coins over and over. Maybe I can finish my 1946 through 1964 set this way an whole lot faster from those clear plastic tubes becides dealing with those fedboxes or spending thousands of hours looking at 65 through 2007 coins over and over to try to find silver coins. Its an break through for me on finding silver in those boxes becides half dollar boxs. I never found anything intill today . I was amazed I did in less than two or three hours. I may ordor another round of dimes since I waiting on Half dollars.

Chevrolet454ss

Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2008  11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lucifer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup, but I hate to break it to you that this isn't new. Sorry lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2008  11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jcook54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried doing it this way a few times and it still isn't worth the amount of time I have to spend in order to find the few-and-far-between silver's. I suppose if it's enjoyable to you, go for it but I still got tired of searching. At this point I may search a few rolls a week for fun but nothing even approaching the scale you are talking about. $1250 in dimes is a lot more searching than I am able to do!
Pillar of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2008  11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nelrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I do the same thing when I get plastic rolls for Dimes and Quarters, if there isn't anything in it I leave it intact and spend it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2008  01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kabiye_Lady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck Chevy - but you ain't gonna find much. Plus 99% of the silver dimes and quarters you're likely to find are only worth melt - exception - 1932 D and S quarters.
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2008  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hc8604 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well before I have seen the plastic wrap several years ago, I would take the coins out of the paper wrap and slowly dump it out on my hand so that it still stays in a roll form. I would look for the non clad coins on the edge and if nothing, I just slip it back it into the paper roll. That would be the easy way if you are a careful person, although not as fast as the plastic rolls. I also find foreign coins that way. I never tried this, but weighing the mass could work? But there can be inconsistancies....

Since my parents had owned a restaurant, I would go through a bunch of rolls. My family would find the most silver dimes and quarters from 1999-2002, but I guess after 2003, more and more people started to collect coins and during that time silver was going up also. I only found a couple dimes and one or two quarters after that. I lost interest in coins during that time, mostly focusing on another hobby (don't shoot me! :P) anyways, I taught my mom how to find them and she found a few, although there were a few close calls that I found some in the cash register before it was given to a customer.
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2008  04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know those silver coins are hard to find in dimes and quarters. I wish I could finish my 1946 through 1964 dime folder and start an 1932 through 1964 quarter folder. Your guys are right is so hard to find silver coins in bank boxs. It may be more trouble thans it worth. My bank freaked out big time when I sold them the 1250 face on dimes to get rid of them. They wanted to send back to feds or whatever. They freaked out big time.

Without buying serval pallets of dimes or quarters to search and out my bank. Any ideas on building an 1932 through 1964 quarter book or finish my 46 through 64 dime book. That roll searching on those are nuts big time.

I may just buy half dollar boxs since I can find silver coins easy there compared to dimes or quarters. I already found 1 roll of 1964 halfs and 30 1965 through 1969 silver halfs so far on half dollars. I even found 5 bens so far. Those dimes and quarters are tough big time compared to halfs.

My goal is year to build an 1932 through 1964 quarter folder, finish my 1946 through 1964 dime folder. I have 18 old dimes so far. I want to build an 1947 through 1963 ben folder also on halfs since I have 5 so far. I may start an Mercury dime st later. I dont want spend an lot money at coin shops to build those sets.

Any ideas where I dont freak out banks anymore?

Chevrolet454ss
Pillar of the Community
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2008  09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea for people who are new at this. I would caution on the halves though, as 40% silver halves are clad and are 60% copper. I pulled three out of boxes last night and the edge isnt 100% white/silver. These are easy to overlook and each time I took the 20 coins out of the wrapper I would do a quick inspection for silver. I missed all 3 of these and found them because I looked at every single date. One of the coins even had a black marker spot where it looks like a prior searcher didnt notice this and only looked on the edges. He must have taken a black marker and made a line down the roll to mark it as searched.

90% silver halves should be obvious though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11968 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2008  09:57 am  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a Cent man. I love it when you get boxes of Cents that have dimes in the rolls you can see through the plastic. I open them all anyway, but the dimes are a bonus. I've only found them in the plastic rolls of Cents. The paper ones usually are just Cents.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2008  1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many do that if the rolls are in plastic. Still many, many are in paper. Then there is always the problem of getting rid of massive amounts of coinage. Many buisnesses will not take them around me do to the scam of people shorting rolls for a coin or two. Many banks also eventually refuse excessive coins unless from a buisness and even them they must be loose, not in rolls for the same reasons. Some banks have gone to charging for any coinage over $100. Many of those coin counting machines in stores also charge a fee for that service.
You must have a lot of time and a lot of banks or something where you can do this. I wonder if all the driving around is taken into acccount of any profits.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2008  1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TSOTL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to ask your favorite dealer if you can check out his junk silver box and save yourself a lot of time and hassle and, like Carl mentioned, gas. I can't imagine how many rolls you'd have to go through before you could get close to finishing out an album and I'd bet that by then every bank in the area is gonna be really upset when you walk through the door.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2008  7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something else to add into the mix. Canadian dimes and quarters have silver looking edges. So looking through a plastic rool you see a silver looking edge, it may turn out to be Canadian!! It happens alot with states located near Canada. I see it all the time here in New Hampshire
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2008  7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gene Carr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where do I sign up to find a dime an hour?!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2008  7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where normal everyday collectors gather. Believe me searching rolls is a lot more fun than scouring the eBay listings put out by shady coin sellers like the one discussed in the return policy thread of the other day.
Edited by halfabustisbetter
01/25/2008 8:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2008  03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chevrolet454ss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just carl, Tsotl,

You were talking about me dealing with banks or dumping large amounts of coins over 100 per ordor. I have 5 banks acounts with 5 banks. 3 of them have machices to dump coins. Its free to members. I drive to town once an week and hit 10 banks within 10 miles of each other. I got to go buy food and stuff in town .

This friday I hit 10 banks and went home with an car load of coins.
1. 1000 dollar in halfs and 1 box of nickels , 2 boxes pennys.
2. Next bank 4 boxs of pennys, 1 box quarters, 2 boxs of nickels.
3. Next bank 2 boxs of nickels and other 10 banks I got more pennys and nickels .
4. I lefht my house 2:00 pm and got home at 4:30 and used 1 quarter tank of gas in my 1992 town car on trip.

Totol Haul on coins for me search this weekend or the next week.
8 boxs of nickels.
10 boxes of pennys 5 of them are 2008 bu denver for eBay. 1 box of 2007 bu coins . I dont search new coins. Onley 4 boxs totol to go thru.
1 quarter box
2 boxs of half dollars I went through and found 11 silver coins already.

I know what your telling about banks out on large amount coins. I have 5 totol dump banks I deal with. My other Bank freaked out when dumped over 4850 face worth half dollars into there machices. I tryed to get do an special ordor and they freaked out over that . I learned after that I need to spread them across serval banks becides one bank totol. As many coins I deal with I dont have time roll them all up and toss them into machices. I just dump money into account and dont ask for money or coins at dump banks. I go to next branch and pull money in cash to buy more coins at my banks. Its cool there 15 or 12 banks on the in the same small town I deal with. I may open an account with another bank in town I dont deal with to buy and sell coins.

I love the banks in walmart or inside grocery stores where I use shoping carts to move coins in and out of there. Its easy to move it out since it very heavy.

It may be an waste of time since you guys are correct it takes thousands of dollars of worth coins to finish sets like 1938 through 1961 nickels. You can almost forget about finding silver dimes and quarters . It may beter to buy prebuilt sets or junk rolls of coins from dealers. For what I learned the onley boxs worth searching are Half dollar boxs. The problem with that they all special ordor since no banks in town carry them. I will need special ordor each box on half dollars. Those Bank tellers tell me I am onley in person in town who ever ask for half dollars or wants them. One Bank teller told me 220 face on them I sold her in summer of 2007 was still there in jan 2008. My old rolls just siting in same bank after 6 monlths. It got me nobody wants or uses halfs anymore.

You guys are right it may more trouble than its worth to search coin boxs to try finish sets. Its take to much these days to find old coins or low mints in nickels. Those pre 1964 silver and pre 61 nickels, wheat pennys are so hard these days. It will break your bank and back moving all those heavy boxs around like I been doing.

Chevrolet454ss
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2008  11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add livingdinasaur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I notice you guys seem to be having problems, returning the rolls, and/or boxes. Maybe you are doing it the wrng way. Find a band that has a merchants window, and return everything in the clear plastic bage that the Armored car services use. BTW, these same bags of different denominations are also avaiklabe to buy, if the teller knows that they aren't "collector bags" I ise only one bank, and "dump large amounts of rolls, cent 5-cent2-bits annd 4-bitcoins, no questions asked, Might solve tour dump problems.
Dick
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05