Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Roll Hunting with Pennies

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  2:27 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Do people that coin roll hunt with pennies normally find any wheat pennies? I am new to collecting and thought about getting a box of pennies. I just was curious if it would be worth my time?

Second Question, if you could get any Susan B Anthony's or Kennedy half dollars for face value would you get them?

Thanks for your input.

Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Connor,
Welcome to the forum. I've been through $85 worth of cents to build year rolls of Lincoln Memorial cents. I have found 33 wheat cents and one IHC. Not great numbers. If you're looking to fill holes this probably isn't be most efficient way to do it. Then again, it is free (more or less) and the thrill of finding an 80 year old coin in circulation is pretty cool.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1683 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do people that coin roll hunt with pennies normally find any wheat pennies? I am new to collecting and thought about getting a box of pennies. I just was curious if it would be worth my time?

Second Question, if you could get any Susan B Anthony's or Kennedy half dollars for face value would you get them?

Thanks for your input.
---
Hi Connor...I just did two boxes of pennies ($25 each, $50 total, 5000 coins total). I found 12 wheat cents so it wasnt great and alot of work but I had fun looking for them.

As far as SBA and Kennedy coins, that's up to you. I dont personally collect them and if circulated there really isnt a premium on these.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deerollhunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Connor -

I have searched $100 of pennies over the past couple weeks and had some neat finds. When searching pennies I need alot of light and used a large magnifying glass. I got a headache a few times. But I found about 30 wheats, 11 canadian cents, and one kennedy head stamped penny. I was also able to sort out all pre 82 pennies and put together a $25 box of copper cents. It was great fun and will do it again soon.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got a box of pennies today. Opened 8 rolls so far and found 1 1946 Wheat penny. Haven't sorted through them that well yet. Many more rolls to go.
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dillon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to coin community connor! I've found a whole 50 cent roll of Wheaties! unfortunately none were under 1940
Edited by Dillon
01/31/2008 3:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbakic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I search cent boxes, I typically get from 10-20 wheaties per box. I have found 2 in AU condition, all the rest heavily circulated. I have heard of people finding Indian Head cents, I never have. I also sort out the 1982 and earlier copper cents. I have a large bag under my bed that weighs about 20lbs. I'm not real sure what I will do with them, I guess hang onto them until it is legal to melt them?
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MS1026 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Searching a box right now.. this is my 4th in last week and a half.. will let you know what I find..
Pillar of the Community
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did $100 in pennies about two months ago for the Cent Project and found:

23 wheats (oldest 1940 and 3 steels in there) 1:434 odds
1 Indian Head cent ( IHC) 1907 VG
6 proofs (86-88S, all corroded and all within same customer wrapped roll)
14 Canadian cents
6 dimes
1 other foreign cent (British half penny)

Based on my searching and others searching, you can probably expect one Wheat cent per 500 pennies on average. You also can expect to hardly ever find pre-1940 coins, but they do happen, like the IHC I found.

As mentioned by others, a lot of people are taking out the pre-82 cents and 82 copper (if they know how to tell the difference between copper and zinc 82). The copper cents are worth 2 cents a piece melt value roughly. On eBay, they are selling for about that price or slightly less. So you could effectively almost double your money if you want to spend the time going through all these coins to pull out the copper. There seem to be a lot of buyers of copper cents for 2 cents apiece. I don't personally understand why anyone would want to buy them, because I don't think they will ever get much higher than that. Perhaps the perception that ban on melting of copper coins makes people want to hoard.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2008  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last time I searched penny rolls, I found 3-4 wheats/5 rolls. Half of these were in the 30s, strangely enough!
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2008  11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cyberdan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, all the time. I found about 110 this week alone. I did have to look through $450 in cents though. I do not look at every coin, that would burn me out real quick. I always try to get customer wrapped coins. I open 3-4 rolls on a towel and quickly spread them out. Wheats have a slightly different color to them than regular coppers so they are easier to spot. I do a quick harvest then move on to the next few rolls. I know I miss some but I don't have the time to examine 45000 coins. When I run them through my copper sorter I also spot more and grab them too. This week the oldest was two 1919s and last week a 1909.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2008  12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm done searching my box. Not much in there. 3 wheats, 9 Canadian pennies, 1 Bahama cent.

Though my oldest date was a 1918 so :P lol
Valued Member
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2008  11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shamrock4sure to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a roll searcher and it's free money. If you want to Kennedy half dollars you can fill your books. There's silver out there but it's drying up as many know about it. Try it and see. There's still wheat's out there but I wouldn't expect to fill a book that way.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12832 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2008  09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your bank(s) have them always ask for a $50 bag of cents. The reason is the chances of a bag being left in their vaults for many, many years is fairly good. Most rolls are from people that have dumped coins into the banks, run through counters, run through rolling machines. Bags may have coins from many, many years ago and just sitting there. I've found many, many very old cents including Indian Head cents that way.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1683 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2008  8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, all the time. I found about 110 this week alone. I did have to look through $450 in cents though. I do not look at every coin, that would burn me out real quick. I always try to get customer wrapped coins. I open 3-4 rolls on a towel and quickly spread them out. Wheats have a slightly different color to them than regular coppers so they are easier to spot. I do a quick harvest then move on to the next few rolls. I know I miss some but I don't have the time to examine 45000 coins. When I run them through my copper sorter I also spot more and grab them too. This week the oldest was two 1919s and last week a 1909.
---
Hey Dan...I am curious about your copper sorter. Do you have some mechanical coin counter/sorter that can separate out the 1982 copper and earlier from the 1982 zinc pennies? I'd love to get my hands on one of those if such a thing exists!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2008  07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished going through about 50# of pennies our family tossed into a box over many years....after sorting out the Wheats, there were probably 35# remaining. Out of those 35# I found one faux 1986-D DDR (it's said only to be machine doubling) and one 1960-D RPM-001. Sad; but true.

As someone else stated, buying boxes/rolls of pennies isnt, in my experience, the optimal way to fill out a coin collection.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05