Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Glue on Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2008  5:31 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add imanangel0686 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a coin that was my grandfathers. Its a 1909 cent. On the one side of the coin there is glue all over it, like it had been once glued to a board. Is there any safe way to remove the glue from the coin?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2008  5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ceaton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd try Acetone to start with. Its about the only safe way to clean a coin.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2008  5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wbryan09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first step would be an attempt to identify the type of glue. Is it hard to the touch? Gummy? Sticky? Solvents are available for most adhesives. However many are volatile and might discolor copper. What type of condition is the coin in? Got a photo?
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2008  6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Identifying what kind of glue was used is certainly the first step. If it does not feel gummy or sticky it may very well be water soluble. People used to use glue like wallpaper glue or Elmer's glue in the old days to temporarily display their hobbies, with the idea of washing it off later and whoever did it just never got around to it.
Soaking the coin in distilled water may work. It may take a while since the glue would have crystallized by now, but it might be less harmful than solvents.
If the coin is precious to you, you may want to send it for conservation to NCS. It's amazing what they can do.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2008  6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to my attempts to remove 50 year old cello tape from a 1909 cent with acetone.
before and after pictures

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=21713

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11507 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2008  7:08 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definately start with deionized water, soak it for a few days and see what happens. If it doesn't work, soak it in acetone for a few days.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2008  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DoubleDie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's the same glue I have run into before, then I recommend MS70. You can buy it off ebay, and it has always taken the glue off coins. However, it can tone copper so I don't know if that's a problem, but the coins always look good afterwards and always look better than having glue on them.
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2008  9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rainman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Goof Off .Works on most glues but (not water base)

Seeking :Don't glue coins

Rainman
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2008  09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you get tape marks off of coins where they have been taped for years. I have a morgan like this that I would love to get cleaned up but I have always heard that you were not suppose to clean them. What should I do here?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsShop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05