Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Anyone ever use MS-70, Coin Care or Nic-A-Lene?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
yechi7
Pillar Of The Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  02:49 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Advertisement:
MS-70 is a blend of industrial detergents and surfactants designed to remove surface contamination from metal without disturbing the metal surface itself.

Surface contamination can be seen as PVC, tarnish, fog, oil, dirt, etc.

When MS-70 is applied the surfactants (wetting agents) first break the surface tension of the contamination then the detergents in MS-70 go to work as you "work" the coin as described in the instructions by suspending the contamination so that it may be rinsed away leaving a bright metal surface as undisturbed as the day the coin was made.

* Safe on Gold, Silver, Copper, Nickel, Bronze and Brass
* Contains no acids or solvents
* Will not discolor mint state copper coins when used as directed
* Environmentally friendly and biodegradable

Advertisement:
Coin Care
Designed to brighten and enhance the beauty of copper coins.

Advertisement:
Nic-A-Lene
Cleans like magic. Apply one drop to coin. Wipe thoroughly with clean, soft cloth (Nic-A-Rag). Soak badly corroded coins and clean while wet. Cleans all nickel coins, including Jefferson, Buffalo, Liberty, and Shield nickels. Cleans copper, brass, and bronze coins also.

Anyone ever use MS-70 Coin Brightener, Coin Care or Nic-A-Lene?

Edited by yechi7
02/15/2008 03:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jcook54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've used the Nic-a-lene on some dirty old Jefferson's. It certainly seemed to work o.k. but I don't have any sort of high powered viewer to check for surface damage. The only thing I learned was that if they are soaked/rubbed too long they take on that sort of "dull shine" that doesn't look too great. On the other hand if I kept the rubbing to a minimum and left a little of the original surface debris they seemed to look much more "original" and the eye appeal did improve.

In conclusion I don't have a whole lot of experience with the stuff but would never use it on anything of much value. I just don't trust it to not leave me disappointed after use. The MS70 product also looks pretty scary. Anything around my coins that says "Industrial Strength" would make me nervous.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10891 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  08:58 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-70 is a detergent/surfactant product. I do not have any personal experience with it but I have heard a few good and bad things about it. There are a few threads on the NGC boards about experimentation with MS-70 on copper and the effects. Apparently, it has good results with red MS and brown circulated copper but has a tendency to tone RB AU/MS copper with blue hues. I believe that it is fine for silver and gold. I would recommend reading the threads over there for more in depth info.

disclaimer: I am not plugging the NGC boards I just thought that a few recent threads were very relavant to this discussion. I am more of a lurker over there, this is my posting home
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1083 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okie-colin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure wouldn't try either product on any coin worth very much money. No matter how bright it leaves a previously tarnished coin, the wear will still be there and the unnatural brightness is red light to buyers that is has been cleaned. No collectible coin subjected to these products or ones like them, will ever be worth as much as it was in the original condition. You can bank on it!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12284 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note all such solutions that claim to remove only surface contaminations may or may not end up ruining a coin. If you are not completely aware of the contents of a solution, the percentages of each, it is best to avoid their usage on any coins. In addition read the lables carefully on any such solutions to verify they list all contents explicitly. Most manufacturers of most products never tell you 100% of what it is due to a proprietart situation where if they did, many others could copy their product. This is just one reason why in many instances what works for some may well ruin you coins.
Also, pay attention to the type of substances on your coins. If they are not just plain old, ordinary dirt, they may well be a substance created by a chemical process and the removal of that may well effect the actual coin.
This is why so may really true coin collectors and even antique collectors say DO NOT CLEAN COINS.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12284 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to my last post I would suggest if you really feel the necessity to dip a coin in something, use Acetone. Search this forum for that substance usages.
And here is a little known advertised fact. Check your next can or bottle of beer. See if you can find the % of Alcohol.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1sikevo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried MS70 on circulated copper (1970s Lincoln Cent). It came out with light bluish/violet hues and these colors were enhanced with a little heat. I did this to learn how to spot AT coins. I would not recommend using them on coins that you consider valuable. I could see some limited use of this product on corroded or heavily caked-on dirt.
Did not have any effect on MS silver.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few very dark copper coins, especially in my Dansco 7070 Types album, that I would like to lighten up to be more visually appealing & enjoyable, not to resell. That's why I'm asking about these products.

quote:

And here is a little known advertised fact. Check your next can or bottle of beer. See if you can find the % of Alcohol.

What are you saying? That the % is not listed? Or that you can use beer to clean your coins?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biokemist,

Can you please give us a link to the thread you're referring to?
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2008  4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gbchaosmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rub these coin cleaners into a coin, and it'll remove all of that grime and fingerprinting! And the mint luster, several layers of metal, the coin's eye appeal, some details, plus 90% of the coin's value.
Edited by gbchaosmaster
02/19/2008 7:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10891 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2008  04:12 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the links as requested:
http://boards.collectors-society.co...#Post1325367
I am familiar with with author of the post- he is a St. Louis area coin dealer that I have purchased from.
http://boards.collectors-society.co...#Post2165928
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2008  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biokemist,

I just read the threads you posted that discussed MS-70. Thanks.

Now, what about the other products - Coin Care or Nic-A-Lene? Any opinions on these?

As I said before, I have a few very dark copper coins, like Large Cents, Half Cents, Twenty Cents, in my Dansco 7070 Types album, and some Lincolns & Indian Head cents, that I would like to lighten up to be more visually appealing & enjoyable for myself, not to resell. That's why I'm asking about these products.

Any opinions on Coin Care or Nic-A-Lene or similar products for coppers?

Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2008  8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SecretGlitch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may want to pretty up the coins now but down the road someone will hate you for it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10891 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2008  11:17 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have experience with either one of those products. Nic-a-lene is made by the same company as Nic-a-date and it appears to be a detergent/surfactant mixture similar to MS-70 but I cannot say if the results would be the same. The Coin Care seems to be the opposite of Deller's Darkener. The Darkener would be an oxidizing agent, creating toning, and the Coin Care would be a reducing agent, stripping toning. IMO, that is way too much chemistry to be applying to a coin.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2008  02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amazon99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though some of these products are acceptable to coin collectors and even third party graders, how will this be viewed in 20 years? It seems like us collectors haven't learned from the past with the whole "cleaning coins to make them shiny" of yesteryears. And the thing that's irritating is that people will dip almost any coins that they get their hands on, but then they when they're buying a coin for themselves they try to find original, undipped examples. Hey, I guess it's whatever sells.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2008  03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
And the thing that's irritating is that people will dip almost any coins that they get their hands on, but then they when they're buying a coin for themselves they try to find original, undipped examples.

Sounds like dating & marriage. When people are dating, they want someone with "experience." When it's time for them to get married, they want someone who's never been touched.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05