Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

What does "Type" mean

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
MLFLY
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2008  4:36 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MLFLY to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I know what a type set is but I see ads of coins for sale called "Type coins for sale" and want to buy ads saying "Type coins wanted."

Is this terminology different from a type set? If so, what does it mean?

I'm kind if thinking it's for non-key date coins that simply meet a type set requirement but it's just a guess. I'd like to know for sure.

Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2008  4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pennypusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not positive but I would guess it would be a coin series. such as Morgan dollar series, Peace dollars series, lincoln cent series. I hope this helps. -PP
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16618 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2008  5:05 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The term originated in relation to type sets, describing coins that were particularly nice for the grade and therefore desirable for type sets. It's pretty much morphed these days into "anything that isn't a Morgan, Commemorative or Modern." So, MLFLY, you're essentially right.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2812 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2008  5:52 pm  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type coins essentially means those coins that are not generally pursued as a complete (all years and mint marks) set. This goes for most 19th century stuff. Morgan dollars, Peace dollars, Lincoln Cents, Buffalo nickels, etc.....are by this definition not Type coins. However, all Seated material, 2-cent pieces, 3-cent pieces, etc are considered Type material.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2008  8:21 pm  Show Profile Check bmanofnbc's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add bmanofnbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also seen the word TYPE to describe a coin with the date worn off.
check out my coins for sale on ecrater -
http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2008  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ken_3567 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The common definition I use is:

quote:
A type coin is a representative coin from a given series. Type coins are collected based on the series they exemplify instead of its date and mintmark.

The trick here is the word "series". I've seen no official definition of a series so it is a perspective based definition. In that light, Prethen is is absolutely correct.

Now if we are talking about coin advertisers that sell "Type Coins" the general definition of a series is defined by a combination of coin design & denomination and it can be any coin representative of the series regardless of date or mint mark (sellers only sell common year/mint marks as types). For example:

A Barber Type Dime would be any example from 1892 to 1916 and may be any mint mark. The retailer would probably ship a 1913P or 1915P dime as these are pretty common (and there is zero chance that they will ship a coveted 1895-O key date dime so don't hold your breath).

If your goal is completing a type set then this is a fine approach as they do the hard work of finding the coin for you. If you were looking to complete a type set with some hopes of $$ value growth then it is the wrong approach as common coins do not appreciate as fast.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05