Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Presidential Dollar Coin Investment Value

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  09:35 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coinster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So, I saw a Franklin Mint rep on TV and he was going on about how great a value their Presidential coin offer was at 5+ dollars a coin (this is uncirculated, not proof), and dipped in gold, etc (which is an alteration of the coin, and to me lessens its collecting value). But anyway, he continued to say many times how "limited" these designs were compared to quarters (well, I mean of course) and mentioned that they thought the Reagen and Kennedy coins would be the most collectible ones.

Anyway, I know enough now to realize most of this is spin and nonsense to make a sale, but how realistic is collecting Presidential Dollar coins as an investment? I collect for fun and never intend to sell, but would it be wise to keep aside a second collection solely for the purpose of investment, or is this all just hogwash? Do you think the collectible value of the Presidential dollar coin series could potentially generate hundreds or thousands (or more) in profit in the future?

Pillar of the Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jcook54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't feel that they will ever be worth all that much. There are just so many made. The errors on the other hand certainly have some value but other than that there will never be much of a premium for any of them. I'm sure in the future some TPG 70's will have some value but I can't see myself ever wanting one.

As far as Franklin Mint stuff, I'd estimate they are worth about a dollar each because the plating is minuscule. But I'm sure they'll move plenty. In fact, I'm sure I'll see them in my local coins shop being told the same thing and asking "Are you sure?" to the dealer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lucky_13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seen a similar advertisement in the Milwaukee Sunday paper from the World reserve Monetary exchange.

Free roll of Presidential uncirculated dollars
Except free is $28 for a roll of about 12
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add small change to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not seen any of the Franklin mint stuff but I do watch Shop NBC and HSN or is it QVC when they have coin night on. I never buy the stuff they are hawking but I do find out a lot of information from watching them. I have not kept up with most of the modern stuff lately and it is a way to see what is available and any interesting facts about mintages, errors, etc.
So, no I don't think that kind of stuff will be valuable in my lifetime but maybe for future generations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go back and read some previous "topics" & "threads".....it has been discussed here intensively and the OVERWHELMING opinion is NO.....they won't ever be worth much. And furthermore, once they've been "gold washed" or "platnum washed" the coating is SO MINISCULE that it can barely be found in "parts per billion" testing.....these people should be sued ! ....So....your right when you say the "the value has been lessened"........most 'here' would say "VALUE-LESS" once that has been done to ANY coin.
But generally most hardcore collectors are staying away from the Presidential Dollars in ANY form.....some are keeping the coin albums for their children and grandchildren for purely historical or "planting a seed" of coin collecting......but definately NOT for any future coin value or investment profit gain. Pure Silver or Gold coins.....or Classic coins would be a much better idea in the "coin world" than those would EVER be !.......
Purchasing a 2008 "Silver Proof Set" from the U.S. Mint website will include a "proof set" of these Presidential Dollars too......so ....if you still have a mind....you could get each year that way in proof condition......and you can always get an uncirculated roll of them from your bank each time a new President comes out for your coin albums, etc.
Edited by eaglefoot
03/10/2008 10:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they may be worth a slight premium in 100 years or so if the price of copper jumps up a ton.
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the redundancy, eaglefoot. I searched, but the key words I searched did not turn up any similar topics.

Anyway, thanks for the valuable info! I'll continue to collect them myself just for fun then, and not worry about the investment value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11143 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  11:50 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Presidential dollars themselves will probably never have much numismatic value but the resulting errors(smooth edge, double edge, planchet w/edge lettering) will definitely hold their value.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismaniac64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I came up with this idea while I was on the can...
First buy up a few of them and put them in a safety deposit box.
Then, buy every one that you can get your hands on and DESROY THEM!!
This will increase rarity and and give you a small fortune.

The only thing is that you would be defacing money and it would probably take about 80 years to get your hands on all that coinage
And you will probably lose more money that you use to acquire them than the few will be worth that you stashed.

OK, now that was thought through, just buy yourself a roll from your bank at face and hide it in a shoebox in your closet and pass it down generation to generation. And don't waste time with the novelty coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Then, buy every one that you can get your hands on and DESROY THEM!
This will increase rarity and and give you a small fortune

If only that were true numis! ALL my steel cents would be worth alot more.In 1945 the mint began to Withdraw steel cents from circulation! In the next 20 years the mint retrieved almost 15% of the steel pennies that were minted and DESTROYED THEM ALL!
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2008  10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismaniac64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So much for that idea. Well, back to the drawing board. I wonder how many of the copper 43s were destroyed?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2008  12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"how realistic is collecting Presidential Dollar coins as an investment?"

I'm of the opinion that anything made expressly for the collector market won't ever become an investment-grade coin. The exception might be some variety or error that has some real rarity, such as the Wisconsin quarter. Otherwise, it's just marketing for collector manias which amount to little more that artificial-demand pyramid schemes. The price may peak for a short time, then comes crashing down. --just my 2 "collectible" cents

"Then, buy every one that you can get your hands on and DESTROY THEM"

LOL...that might do it! Of course, you wouldn't want to pay for them first...
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2008  12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add robert18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of these new coins including the state quarters and the pres dollars are intended to increase the number of collectors, so you know that a lot more people will have full sets of state quarters and pres dollars then lets say a low mintage date of a regular quarter that the average person just spends everyday, so my opinion is that these collections will not increase in value as much as normal circulation coins will.
Edited by robert18
03/12/2008 12:09 am
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2008  12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are crooks, nothing more. they prey on old folks and uninformed folks. When the people who buy this junk go to a local dealer to sell, the dealer laughs and then the buyer thinks all dealers are scum. Sad but true.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2008  09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bud212002 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that NBC, QVC, and other coin shows are trash. But I am new to the hobby, and learn a lot of useful info. from the shows, but you have to listen to the bull to get the info. On another note, coin country TV is taped 30 minutes from my home, so I hope I run into those guys one day, that would be interesting! The only deal I have seen is on AANTV, 1986 Silver eagles in MS-69 for $34.00 so I did buy one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13028 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2008  10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As already well noted the Presidential coins will probably never be worth anything as a monitary investment. I don't even think they will be worth much in 100 years as a monitary investment.
However, for educational purposes for young kids and a means to institute a larger quantity of new collectors, I feel those coins have done their job. I would think one set of those on display at schools would have some benefits educational wise. If not stolen first.
just carl
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05