Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Value of 1887 liberty head dollar, and several others

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  7:57 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add surfnsatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have had this liberty head dollar for over ten years now.It was a gift from my grandfather.I was wodering what the value of this coin could be.Its in near perfect condition,all the details and text/images are in perfect condition,it has no"stains" or grime" on it,its dated 1887,and its been kept in a protective case for over 50 years.Would anyone happen to know the value of my coin?it doesnt have to be an exact ammount,it could be an estimate or a personl opinion.also, I have a liberty head nickel from 1891.its very worn, and all you can see is the liberty head nd the stars on the "heads side",the date it was mmade,and the outline on the backside.also, I have some kansas tax tokens.they have no date on them, and I have no idea what they are and wat they were used for,but im assuming that theyre old.i also have a 1913 canadian nickel.its copper ,and it has perfect details.if anyone could appraise or estimate the value of any of hese coins , I would appreciate it VERY MUCH!thanks in advance,
-Rye

Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NGiles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.coincommunity.com/us_dollars/morgan.asp target= _blank rel= nofollow http://www.coincommunity.com/us_dollars/morgan.asp /a Morgan dollar" target="_blank" >The 1887 dollar you are referring to is called a a href= http://www.coincommunity.com/us_dollars/morgan.asp target= _blank rel= nofollow http://www.coincommunity.com/us_dollars/morgan.asp /a Morgan dollar after the man who designed it. The value is impossible to determine with out pictures. What the common man may see as a near perfect coin, could be a polished coin that has a considerably lower value. Many factors also play a roll such as where it was minted, and what variety it is. A starting value is that of the silver it contains, which would be roughly $14.00. However, in some varieties the date 1887 date was printed over 1886. This variety in perfect condition, could be worth over $25,000 according to the RedBook value. You can see there is a huge spread in the price range.

This is the type of challenge we enjoy. We would love to see pictures and help you get a closer idea of what your coin is worth. If you can post some pics of the whole front and reverse of the coin, and a close up of the date, they would be helpfull. A great resource for finding the variety of your coin is.

http://www.vamworld.com/ Look under the "Morgan VAMS by date" link, and go to your year and mint.

Good luck I hope you find a $25,000 Coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
812 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bilbo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!

If your 1887 dollar has any wear at all, even though it looks really nice, it is probably worth around $20. If it has absolutely no wear (an "uncirculated" coin) it is probably worth $30-$50.

As mentioned, there are varieties that are worth much more. Also, an especially pristine example of an uncirculated coin can be worth considerably more.

Another thing to look for is a "mint mark." If it has one, it will be on the back under the wreath. If it doesn't have one it was made in Philadelphia. If it has an "O" it was made in New Orleans and is worth slightly more. If it has an "S" it was made in San Francisco and is worth even more.

A picture would help us give a more accurate estimate of value.

Your 1891 nickel is most likely worth $2-$4, based on your description.
Learn More...
United States
17157 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  5:22 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to Coin Community, Rye.

The first thing you have to know is that grade is critical to the value of a coin. Based on the little information provided (and please don't take this as making fun of you), your coin could be worth anything between $20 and $35,000. I mean that seriously - in November 2005, the finest-known example of an 1887 Morgan dollar sold for $34,500 at auction.

Of course, it takes a magnifying glass to find any mark whatsoever on that coin.

If you'd like to learn more about the grading process, start here:

http://www.coingrading.com/intro1.html

Yours, of course, is probably not in MS68 condition. If, as it seems, your coin has not ever been in circulation, and it's had a typical early life in a bag with 1000 other Morgans (as shipped from the Mint), it is likely in MS63-ish condition and worth about $40-50.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05