Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

JFK 1964 Half Accented Hair + Cameo (Value) Please Rateit

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  03:21 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jeffreyice1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Here is a recent find, only flaw is a spotted nose. Was in original plastic from Mint.

See Pics and let me know if I should rate it.

***Edited by Forum Dad to fix images. Click the pencil icon to see how it's done. ***

Thanks Dad!

Edited by jeffreyice1
05/12/2008 05:03 am
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  03:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffreyice1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can Also someone tell me if on the back it looks like a double strike on ED S on the characters (United States) or am I just seeing stuff.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  04:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jager44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, I dont know about the double, but it looks like any other ultra pf 67-69 to me. my monitor is not the hottest though, check the NGC registry to get an idea of what the population is on the 64 proof and that may give you a better idea of your odd's of having a PF 67-69.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffreyice1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked out the population at NGC

1964 Accented Hair Ultra

PF 67 UC 14 Rated
PF 68 UC 9 Rated
PF 69 UC 1 Rated

This seems to me to be quite Rare! Worth Rating. Being new to Rating I see some prefer PCGS What is the differance between companies?
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS is the one that will get you more money when it is time to sell because some people think they grade tighter then NGC. PCGS is #1 and NGC is #2 rated by allot of collectors
Pillar of the Community
United States
673 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add InfiniteInterest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a very nice coin, but from the pics I do not see any cameo effect at all- let alone the Ultra Cameo numbers you are quoting. I would check the numbers on non-cameo accented hair proofs.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffreyice1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I probably need an education on Cameo (I thought it was a mirror background) Any info on what to look for would be great!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cameo is a mirror background combined with a blast white frosting on the portrait and devices.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffreyice1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the mirror, But the frost is not like the coins I see today. Did they have frosting in 1964? And do you need both to be considered a cameo?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there are cameos from the 50's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
673 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2008  11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add InfiniteInterest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that, I should have explained the difference. There were Cameo Proofs produced in the 50's and 60's, but as the dies wore during each year the cameo effect disappears. I think since the mid 70's they got better and better as far as consistent cameo on proof coins. I have not seen a "brilliant" (non-cameo) proof for any modern coins (Post 70's) in quite awhile. Here is a picture of a 1962 Franklin Half with a nice cameo obverse. Check the photography forum, there are some Proof picture threads there with some nice pictures . Your coin would be described as a "Brilliant Proof" since it does not have the frost on the devices. Hope that helps a little more...

Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2008  03:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffreyice1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, Cut up my 1964 Proofs looking for frost and this is the only one I found. My 1987 Set has a thicker frost (But no detail) and much less mirror.

Please look at this one (Not Accented hair).

Is this what I am looking for and is this coin worth rating?

As you can see from the pic's Im trying to get back into collecting, its been 35 years.

And would someone tell me what BU, AU Means. AU I think means Almost Uncirculated. BU ? And how is Brilliant defined. Is that BU? And then you have ratings of PF PFCA PFUC Which I get as Proof, Cameo, Ultra Cameo. But where does Brilliant fit in?

And What is an SP?

And how do you tell if you have a DDO (Is there a website with pictures of the different variations 1964)?

Edited by jeffreyice1
05/12/2008 05:09 am
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2008  05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the olden days (pre numerical grading) coins were either uncirculated or not. If they were uncirculated and had a brilliant luster, they were called BU. In fact, I recall that if you bought an uncirculated coin it was almost understood that it was BU.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2008  11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BU stands for Brilliant Uncirculated
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2008  2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Byran1315 about PCGS being #1, but they are hard to get a PR-65-66 1964 w/ heavy hair details note or Cameo Kennedy graded by them. here an NGC I just got back.

I almost have a complete set of NGC MS-65-67 Cameo all need is a 1965 Plus the PR-66 heavy hair Cameo I have a PR66 with on cameo 1964 grade by PCGS

* So if you want the MS- Cameo or PR-H/hair Cameo or SMS's ? I would have NGC grade it
It looks like it has the heavy hair but I no Grader
Edited by amac44
05/13/2008 01:43 am
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2008  12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffreyice1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still need an answer to the second Posting with pics(1964 JFK Without Accented Hair) is it a cameo and is it worth Grading/Rating?

And what is MS and SP? I know to PR (Proof)

Thanks
Edited by jeffreyice1
05/13/2008 12:37 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05