Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971-D silver clad kennedy half dollar

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  8:57 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add crazyhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

A friend found a 1971-D 40% kennedy half in a roll.Any one have an idea how many were struck and what the value might be?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1739 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you know it is 40 percent?
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Technically none. Silver halves officially ended in 1970 but were picked back up with a 1976 set. And they continued again with the silver proof sets in 1992

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crazyhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pyrbob,he filed a small part of the rim and it was silver clad.graceoutcast,I have been collecting coins for quite some time,and I did'nt know one existed until my friend found and showed me this one.If I can pry it out of his hands long enough,i'll try to post a pic.
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yinzi50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oldest coins found in the wild:
1c: US/1864; CAN/1921; 5c: US/1893; CAN/1927;
10c: US/1888; CAN/1918; 25c: US/1941; CAN/1940;
50c: US/1875; CAN/1919; $1: US/1924;
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yinzi50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying to look for one or see one for a long time. What is the weight?
Oldest coins found in the wild:
1c: US/1864; CAN/1921; 5c: US/1893; CAN/1927;
10c: US/1888; CAN/1918; 25c: US/1941; CAN/1940;
50c: US/1875; CAN/1919; $1: US/1924;
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to see a picture of this one too. I am sorry to hear that he shaved the edge to find out what it might be. In any case a picture could be worth a thousand words.

Thanks,
Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
1683 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
pyrbob,he filed a small part of the rim and it was silver clad.graceoutcast,I have been collecting coins for quite some time,and I did'nt know one existed until my friend found and showed me this one.If I can pry it out of his hands long enough,i'll try to post a pic.

Are you sure he filed the rim and it was silver? I have never heard of a 1971-D silver clad so what he is likely seeing is the copper-nickel mix. Under certain lighting conditions, it doesnt look all that different from the silver clad halves from 1965-1970.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In theory, since 40% silver clad planchets were used in 1970 at the Denver Mint, It is theoretically possible that a leftover planchet was struck in 1971.

Edited by foundinrolls
06/02/2008 11:36 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crazyhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinhunter,it is without a doubt a 1971-D silver clad Kennedy half dollar.I have never seen one either but acording to the Red Book,a few were minted as well as the 1977-D silver clad half.I'm trying to get him to have it certified but he is reluctant to have it leave his sight.
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2008  11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My appologies....there were some minted by accident. Trying to find mintage numbers right now.

If it is genuine it will carry a high premium...but because he filled it then it will drop the grade a bit.

Here's an old post that unfortunately went no where with the same coin
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=19232

Here is a 1977-D on a silver planchet. So far I can't find any proof of an actual 71D in existence. It is believed to be nothing more the a rumor

http://www.bowersandmerena.com/auct...g=&lotno=674
Edited by GO
06/02/2008 11:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2008  12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"...he filed a small part of the rim and it was silver clad"

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11104 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2008  08:53 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is without a doubt a 1971-D silver clad Kennedy half dollar...I'm trying to get him to have it certified but he is reluctant to have it leave his sight.

Cutting it was a pretty dumb move when all he needed to do is weigh it That has the potential to removed hundreds or thousands of dollars of value if genuine- it is now a damaged coin. Saying "without a doubt" is a pretty bold statement to make without having weighed it or or having it independently verified. No one will consider a rare error such as this as being the real deal without a third party grader authenticating and certifying it.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2008  09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll never find mintage numbers on an error. Might as well stop looking.

Filed part of the rim on a suspected high value error coin? What was he thinking? Couldn't he just weigh it or listen to it and tell the difference?!?

At any rate, if he filed part of the coin off he destroyed most of the value it would have had. That's assuming it's really what he thinks it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1683 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2008  09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coinhunter,it is without a doubt a 1971-D silver clad Kennedy half dollar.I have never seen one either but acording to the Red Book,a few were minted as well as the 1977-D silver clad half.I'm trying to get him to have it certified but he is reluctant to have it leave his sight.

Wow that is cool and I didnt know that! Time to get out the Red Book and do some more learning!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1106 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2008  09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing he should have done is weigh it. The second test should be a specific gravity test, which should be done by someone experienced with the technique. As far as filing the edge, it won't provide conclusive evidence. While the 21% silver core of any typical 40% silver half will have a gray color, if you cut into it with a scalpel it will show a copper color that is barely distinguishable from a copper-nickel clad half dollar.

As far as the general advisability of an invasive test on the edge, I confess to having done it on occasion. It's unobtrusive and has saved me the hundreds of dollars that it would have cost me to conduct an SEM/X-ray analysis. It has revealed very clever counterfeits and also unsuspected compositions. It should be done under magnification and involve the removal of as little metal as possible. On reeded coins I use a scalpel to shave one side of a reed under a microscope. No grader would ever pick it up.

On error coins, severely damaged specimens that are scraped, gouged, bent, and even folded over are routinely given grades of MS-64 and higher. So a tiny bit of edge damage won't make any difference.

While an invasive test is a last resort to obtaining an answer, I value certainty over a pristine edge.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05