Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979-D Washington quarter mintmark error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2008  02:13 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JOE to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've just recently gotten into the hobby of coin collecting, And I think I found an "Error coin", And I was wondering what it's average value would be.
The error is in the mint-mark, For some reason my camera refuses to take extremely zoomed in shots, But from looking at the coin under a magnifying glass, It appears to be the "D" mint-mark, But for some reason the D is not hollow except for a tiny hole in the middle, It sort of looks like a doughnut. I'm not sure if it was double-struck or if it was struck again by a P mint-mark, I'm waiting to buy a better quality magnifying glass to check this.

There does not appear to be any errors on the reverse side of the coin, But I also posted a photo of it in case I might have missed something.

Hopefully these photos will be good enough to verify is this is an error coin or not. You can click the photos to expand them and get a better view of the mint-mark.

Also, Thanks everyone, I have received a lot of help in the short time I have been here.

Edited by JOE
06/03/2008 02:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11145 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2008  08:46 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is normal, that was caused by a worn mint mark punch. For another example of this, look at a 79-S proof- it will be a blob as well(unless you happen to have the much rarer Type 2 clear mint mark that utilized a new punch towards the end of the year for proof coins)
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
06/03/2008 11:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2008  09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, what he said.

Same thing is common for all different denominations...1977-1981.
Valued Member
Philippines
212 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2008  06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add junjiesalvador to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There seems to be a doubling on the word QUARTER. What type of doubling is that - a strike or machine doubling or what?

junjie
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2008  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
junjie its machine doubling.
but I notice maybe a clash on reverse by the west wing?
has anyone else see it?
Edited by amac44
06/09/2008 11:29 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05