Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German | Hesse-Cassel coin and 20th C. tokens

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Poland
2146 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2008  10:17 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

1. Germany 1 heller 1741. Reverse: FR monogram. Copper. Could someone look it up in Krause to tell which German state is this from?

2. Wert-marke. Reverse: 5. Bronze (?). Does anyone has any further information on these (I've seen various denomination looking like this piece)?

3. any ideas at all?

Thanks

Edited by Sap
08/30/2008 08:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2008  1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Number 1: Hesse-Cassel KM#401 no mintage numbers - worth about $7 US.
Pillar of the Community
Poland
2146 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2008  1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally something else than Prussia! Thank you!
Learn More...
United States
2574 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2008  11:46 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your wertmarke is a token produced in Germany by private companies. They are sometimes counterstamped. Wertmarke banknotes were for the German concentration camps (see http://www.germannotes.com/faq_camp...elbau.shtml)

Is there anything on the other side of the #3 coin?
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Learn More...
United States
2574 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2008  11:48 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a counterstamped wertmarke: http://cgi.ebay.com/Germany-Token-2...LD_W0QQitemZ120188730817QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120188730817&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Pillar of the Community
Poland
2146 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2008  04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other side of the 3rd coin there is the "20" denomination and nothing besides it. I wonder what currency the "Sch" is - Schilling?
Learn More...
United States
2574 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2008  05:53 am  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder what currency the "Sch" is - Schilling?

Probably. Without a year and ruler, I would guess this is another token... but hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Learn More...
Australia
11236 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2008  06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think "Sch" is the monetary unit; 20 schillings (Austrian) was a lot of money, and the schilling wasn't introduced until 1925, by which time the post-war monetary crisis was over.

The "Sch" is stamped in afterwards, not part of the original design. I'd assume it's a generic stock token that's been countermarked by the issuer to make it more distinctively theirs. "Sch" might be the abbreviation of the issuer's name, or the locality it was issued in.

Both #2 and #3 are notgeld tokens of some kind. There's no other inscriptions on the other sides of #2 or #3 to help identify them?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
2574 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2008  07:08 am  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap.. the reverses seem to just have the number. I didn't even notice the 'Sch' was stamped later, but now that you point it out I definitely see it.

A little over half down the page is what looks like #2

http://home.psknet.com/tbirde3/Medals/Medals.html

Wert-Marke.
These are normally known as waiter's checks. The token may also belong to a restaurant,
as 15 pfennig was the standard price for beer. The most famous manufacturer of
Wert-marken was L. Christian Lauer in Nürnberg, but there were several other manufacturers.
They may be circa 1900-1940, except for 1915-1923 when most copper was used during WWI and
hyper inflation 1922-23 needed higher values. It may be impossible to trace their origin.There was a standard for marking wertmarken with 2 or 3 letters (#3?). These tokens were not used only in Germany.
There are many wert marken listed in catalogs by Menzel and Hasselmann.

Also good stuff at http://www.chicagocoinclub.org/proj...PiN/not.html
And here: http://www.coinworld.com/news/120103/bw_1201.asp

Pillar of the Community
Poland
2146 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2008  09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap, right, it's quite unlikely it's a Schilling as I recall now that 25 schilling was in fact a gold coin. Thanks for reminding me of it Only other denomination I can think of is Schwaren but that was used before 1871. So it might be that the "Sch" is not a denomination but a merchant's/region mark.

Exactly, the reverses only have a number, nothing more, no inscriptions.
Thanks for the link, xshift, looks like I have a 1/3 beer token.
Edited by DL20K
08/25/2008 09:32 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05