Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best way to mail a coin?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
80 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2008  10:15 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Michelle K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

If I were to trade with someone on the west coast (of US) for Denver mints in exchange for P mints, what would be the easiest, least expensive way to send them? These would be coins found in circulation and not necessarily valuable.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2008  10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US Postal has flat-rate boxes which are a pretty economical way to ship large amounts of coin.
Click and scroll halfway down.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2008  10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Michelle K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would I need a box if only sending 5-6 coins? Should I put them in some kind of plastic or wrap them in something?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2008  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I use padded envelopes and mail usps first class seems to be the cheapest
Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure that the coins do not bump against each other. Dings are 'not a good thing'
Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  01:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coindexter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wait until I finish my box of cheez-it. And mail them in it. LOL LOL LOL
Pillar of the Community
Australia
661 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add muckeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrap in tissue and put in a CD mailer.
regards,
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add penny pincher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not sent any off, but have received enough from eBay to know what has worked for me.

First: a padded mailer is a must and will keep the coins in and not falling out, NEVER use a simple envelope.

Second: separate the coins (even if they are commons) with either tissue paper, 2x2's or bubble wrap.

Third: NEVER place tape or glue directly to the coin.

Forth: If cost is the main issue, then build up a larger amount of coins before sending them off. My guess is that this is a way for two of you to get modern coins for face value instead of paying a premium somewhere. If so, then a few extra weeks to build a small stash should not matter.

Fifth: If they are not cheap, common coins then get the insurance. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

I like the idea you have and was wondering about doing something similar so please keep us informed and maybe I will join in on the trading.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
5318 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with other's advice, except perhaps the cheez-it box, lol.
I once wrote a brief article on packing a coin that's worked well for me.
Pillar of the Community
Poland
2146 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NEVER place tape or glue directly to the coin.

I fully agree. I've received a coin taped like that to a piece of cardboard. It had to lie in a glass of water for quite some time before the remains of the tape got unsticked.

An addition: make sure that when people are handling the package; the coins are not heard.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1180 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the coins should not be heard but what do you then do when the post office asks you to complete the customs forms?

I know to state that the item is a gift but what do you put for the description?

So far knock wood, I have had no problems with sending coins back and forth between England and the US.
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Pillar of the Community
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would say put numismatic items! or something to that effect
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11106 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  5:59 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hobby supplies, numismatic collectibles, specie, or my personal favorite- precision engineered metal stampings
ANA R-3151318
Learn More...
United States
13971 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2008  9:30 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with daviscfad. For the more inexpensive coins(under $50), I like USPS first class in a small padded envelope. When I'm sending more expensive coins, I will still use USPS but, send insured for the proper amount and put those coins in a more rigid type envelope like a CD mailer, then put it in a padded envelope. I think overkill is good on the more expensive coins. I also like the cardboard secure foldovers with the sticky stuff you peel apart to get coin inside the padded envelopes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5723 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2008  1:45 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quote-precision engineered metal stampings

Pillar of the Community
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2008  2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mila_cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When mailing a handful of coins first I
1. vacuum seal coins in a bag, already measured for the envelope to be used - using a FoodSaver machine, this way the coins don't jingle or move around while in transit.
2. fitted in a bubbled padded envelope or box (depending on the weight) - not too lager or too small for the sealed bag. I prefer the Poly Bubble envelopes because they are tear resistant and waterproof, especially when mailing out of the US.

There has been times I have received coins and other things in one of those padded yellow/brown envelopes and found holes or cuts and was sure glad the contents were intact. But to play it safe I go with the Poly Bubble Mailers.

When mailing one or two coins I put them in a flip or 2x2 if available or vacuum seal them long enough to fit in a #10 envelope.

I have collected from the PO those Priority Mail envelopes and cut them up to the size of the envelope I'm going to use as a "padded" protection.

For banknotes I do the same. If I don't have sleeves I put them in reg envelope and cut up those Priority Mail envelopes to the size of the envelope being used then put those in the addressed envelope. Just as I did for the prizes I just mailed out Wed. So they were well protected.

mila_
Edited by Mila_cent
09/06/2008 2:59 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05