Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Ancient, Greek, and Roman Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

AD68 fiddling while Rome burns -post your Roman denarii pics

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
t360
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2008  8:37 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been looking for a Nero denarius for some time. I wanted one which showed his stubbly beard.
I totally forgot that I had placed an internet bid on this one.

Usually I get outbid. However this afternoon I received an email telling me that I ended up the winner!

On the reverse is a legionary eagle between military standards.

Does anyone else collect Roman silver denarii?
Please post some pictures of them if you have any.

Edited by t360
10/18/2008 10:26 am
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
12717 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2008  9:44 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, nice coin.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2008  10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sir Ferrari to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, am I jealous...

Nice find!
Pillar Of The Community
5318 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2008  11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coin from an historical perspective, and great photo!
I guess Nero didn't care about a flattering likeness?
Australia
10698 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  04:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess Nero didn't care about a flattering likeness?

The early Empire was a time of realism for coin portraiture. If the emperor was ugly, the coins showed him as ugly. This contrasts strongly with the "idealism" of Greek coinage, which minimised flaws and accentuated beauty, and the "abstraction" of later Roman and Byzantine coins, where the portrait is intended to show the power, majesty, grandeur and authority of the office of emperor, rather than the identity of the emperor himself.

You could take an early Roman Empire coin, and use it to pick the emperor's face out from amongst a crowd.

Quote:
Does anyone else collect Roman silver denarii?

I have 42 of them, ranging from the early Republic period (my earliest is attributed to 157 BC) up to the mid-200's AD, by which time the denarius was fast becoming obsolete.

Quote:
Please post some pictures of them if you have any.

Four of them are already in my gallery: this one of Caracalla...

...another one of the same emperor...

...this one of Elagabalus....

...and this one of Hadrian, which I only seem to have scanned the reverse of...

I've just added a fifth to the gallery - my most recently acquired denarius filled a hole in my OFERE collection (one from each Roman emperor): Nero's successor, Galba. This one also dates from 68 AD:

Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Edited by Sap
10/16/2008 04:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent collection Sap!
Pics are great also
Pillar Of The Community
5318 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those denarii are in beautiful condition...impressive!
Sap, thanks for the info
Edited by KurtS
10/16/2008 2:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
901 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G'Day all and yes I collect denarii,I only have 27 posts and only been here for 12 day so my denarii photos will have to wait so until I get the O.K. to post then I'll post some regards harry
Harry
Pillar Of The Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sir Ferrari to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have 42 of them

WOW, compare that to my large group of three.

I do actually have quite a few silver "double-denarii" (commonly known as antoniniani), my favorites being of Philip the Arab and his son Philip II.
Edited by Sir Ferrari
10/16/2008 6:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sir Ferrari to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, to nuggethill, you can post pictures as much as you want! There is no post or time requirment to do that.

Lets see those denarii!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3957 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  7:06 pm  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have just two denarii. I've posted them before but this is a good time to bring 'em out again!

The older is Naevius Balbus, dating from 79 BC, depicting Venus on the obverse and a 3-horse chariot (Triga?) on the reverse. This is a "serrate" denarius with the notches around the edge.

The other is from 220 AD and shows Julia Paula (wife of Elagabalus) on the obverse and Concordia on the reverse.

Edited by Jaobler
10/16/2008 7:09 pm
Valued Member
Canada
446 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gawd0wns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jaobler, the Naevius Balbus you posted is amazing!
Edited by gawd0wns
10/16/2008 7:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice denarii, Sap! So the 'S' in COS was entered backwards on the Hadrian?
What do the seven stars and crescent represent?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins, Jaobler! The Eagle holders might work for me too. Often the relief is too high on denarii to fit them into airtights.
Australia
10698 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So the 'S' in COS was entered backwards on the Hadrian?

Yep. The die engraver must have been a trainee, or in a hurry, or had a cold or something - the S is backwards, the O is filled in, the stars are randomly scattered about instead of a neat hexagonal pattern like they normally are on this type, and the centration hole which was supposed to be masked by one of the stars, is showing as a small "8th star" in the centre of the coin. All in all, a very sloppy job.

Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Quote:
What do the seven stars and crescent represent?

I don't think we know for sure. Unlike the "comet coins" of Augustus, I don't think it records a particular astronomical event, because this reverse can be found on coins of several emperors. I've always imagined the Moon symbol was linked with the cult of the goddess Diana/Artemis, and the seven stars represent the seven hills of Rome. Thus the coin symbolizes Diana embracing and protecting Rome.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2008  11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Augustus, the first Roman Emperor. Even as an old man, he always maintained a youthful portrait on his coins.

Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05