Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Light Gold Dime?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
New Member

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2006  9:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Robin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Anyone ever see a gold dime? I got one as change last year. The coin itself looks brand new. The face and back are a light gold color. The outside edges are silver. It's from 1975. Any clue what this could be? It's an American dime. I would have said that it's dirty, but it's way to clean looking. But it's a shiny clean gold color.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2006  01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins plated in other metals is actually a very common science experiment in schools, and a lot of them end up spent.

If you coin, by chance, is copper, like a cent, then there's some chance you could have a dime struck on an unclad planchet. The only realistic test to see if there's even a chance of this being the case is to weigh the coin. If it is underweight by at least 10-15%, then there's a chance this is what you have. I give it a 5% chance against the 95% chance you have a simple plated coin that's worth spending as a dime.
New Member
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2006  05:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Robin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look copper. I'll try taking a picture of it and posting it for ya.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1091 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2006  07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add toast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would plating a coin make it overweight by a measurable amount?

Would the details of the coin be as sharp on a coin that is plated or does the process fill in the finer details?

What metals would make a coin look like gold, besides gold?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2006  09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would plating a coin make it overweight by a measurable amount?
Not by a measurable amount, no.

Would the details of the coin be as sharp on a coin that is plated or does the process fill in the finer details?
That depends on how the job is done, and for how long it sits being plated. If dipped or plated by electralosis for a longer time, the detail loss would be somewhat substantial. If plated by electralosis for a very short time, the coin would still change color, but wouldn't have enough on it to make any measurable difference and would not affect the details at all.


What metals would make a coin look like gold, besides gold?
None that I can think of. Plating a dime in gold involves only a couple of grains of gold, less than $5 worth even on today's market. Using electralosis uses an unmeasurable amount of foreign metal (gold in this case), which wouldn't involve anything more than a gold ring or something made of gold, and it wouldn't effect the ring or piece of gold enough to make a difference.
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2006  2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plating is one way that a dime could be made a light gold color, excessive heat is another,, I have seen examples of this not only on dimes but also nickles, quarters and half dollars.

Rick
Edited by Metalman
02/01/2006 2:16 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05