Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whats the diff between MS-64 and MS-65

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
159 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2008  8:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

what are the physical differences between MS-64 rated coins vs. MS-65 rated coins?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2008  8:02 pm  Show Profile Check bmanofnbc's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add bmanofnbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
about $100

Just kidding....the truth is, it could be the number of bag marks or the weakness/strength of the strike, the mood of the grader or any combination of those.
check out my coins for sale on ecrater -
http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Valued Member
Canada
159 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2008  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hahaha! See, this is why I said, "What are the PHYSICAL differences..."

Thanks for the explanation. I'm thinking of buying some MS-65 coins for my personal set and buying MS-64 coins for re-sale at a later date.
Edited by Coinage
12/28/2008 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2008  8:27 pm  Show Profile Check bmanofnbc's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add bmanofnbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinage, I'll see your dancing Banana and raise you one Happy Pepper
check out my coins for sale on ecrater -
http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Valued Member
Canada
159 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2008  8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
seriously, the Banana has way better dance moves. I mean, look at him, he's getting Hyphy wit-it; that pepper has nothing on the Banana-Man!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
597 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2008  8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aye... that's nasty

edit... better dances applied.

<<<Edited by tights24 to remove active imaging. Please use those emoticons provided by the forum only>>>
Edited by IBGolden
12/28/2008 9:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2008  9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sir Ferrari to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MS-64--Few marks/hairlines or a couple of severe ones, strike should be average or above

MS-65--Minor marks/hairlines though none in focal areas, above average strike

It all depends on where the marks are on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2008  10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ceaton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really could be anything that drops a coin from MS65 to a MS64. When I grade, its mostly bagmark and hits that knock these down for me, especially if they are in the prime focal area.
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2008  12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with ceaton , since grading is essentially based on the details of the coin , when comparing Mint state to mint state grades the difference could be anything from a scratch to where that scratch is , a hit on the reverse field opposed to a hit on the cheek on the obverse would be one example .

die polishing and die state are also factors since they determine the sharpness or the weakness in the design .

Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2008  12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JonS.7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like stated above where the bag marks are located is important, the more hidden the better. I also believe full complete luster is important on some series as well as strike. Even though strike in my opinion should not be considered for a TECHNICAL grade as that is the way the coin was originally minted. For general grading purposes I think that considering strike along with all other factors is useful. I think that a gem coin needs to have full booming luster above and or below the toning (if any) and real clean full, sharp surfaces and rims.
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2009  10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't you think that grading now is more liberal now than years ago ? With the breakout and resubmission game, it looks like TPG services aim to please.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2009  10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the same coin can come back MS63 or MS66, the real answer is there is no difference. Acccording to the guy who invented the system, a MS66 should be worth 10% more than a MS60, yet it sometimes is worth 1000 times as much. The instant you take a MS65 coin out of the slab, figure it's a MS63. Then take up a hobby like collecting coins instead of pieces of plastic.
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2009  10:42 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what are the physical differences between MS-64 rated coins vs. MS-65 rated coins?

If it's a TPG, depends on how their day is going.
If they feel good, it's a MS65.
If they have a headache, it's MS64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2009  6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kabiye_Lady to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP never mentioned TPG's. Only MS-64 vs. MS-65.

Personal opionion. There are basically 3 MS grades:
MS-60 to MS-62 --> It's uncirculated, but got a lot of stuff going on
MS-63 to MS-66 --> Nice Uncirculated coin - not too many distractions
MS-67+ ---> Nice coin. Primo. You might not be able to define it, but you know it when you see it.

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2009  11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zerozero to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The OP never mentioned TPG's. Only MS-64 vs. MS-65.

Personal opionion. There are basically 3 MS grades:
MS-60 to MS-62 --> It's uncirculated, but got a lot of stuff going on
MS-63 to MS-66 --> Nice Uncirculated coin - not too many distractions
MS-67+ ---> Nice coin. Primo. You might not be able to define it, but you know it when you see it.

I like this.

They should change the nomenclature to MS-1, MS-2 or MS-3.

That would make things much easier.

:)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05