Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bundesbank Bags

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
14490 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2009  2:50 pm Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Being a Dark Side collector I heard of these bank bags but never bought any. So I treated myself for the holidays and bought two of them. They arrived today and I was impressed. Each bag weights 21 pounds and contains close to or more than 5000 coins. Only open one bag didn't see any gold or very old coins. I did see some low grade silver and a lot of CN and Bronze coins. Most of the coins date within the last forty years but I did see some older ones. It's going to take some time going through the one bag to really tell what I've got. I'm sure I going to add a lot of new coins to my collection. For my money they were well worth the cost.

Edited by Sap
01/09/2009 10:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2009  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, did you get the bag with 'Deutches Bundesbank' on it?

And I wonder why the German Bank would have so many odd and ends coins?

Learn More...
United States
14490 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2009  3:20 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the bags are labeled Deutches Bundesbank. The Bundesbanks has a program where they sell there exchanged coins to dealer and collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2009  7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason they had so many coins is when Europe changed over to the euro. All ciculating coins could be redeemed for euros up to a fixed date(for example Dec 12,2001) if I remember correctly.

I bought a bag back in 2002 and had fun going through them. But lately I haven't seen anyone selling sealed bags in a while.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2009  7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really? I though the Bundesbank canceled the coins when they were redeemed...

I'm trying to find a pic of canceled DM2 coins...

But Brett, did you find anything interesting in the bag?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2009  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a few old silver coins from back in the mid 1800's, alot of old copper.

I can't remember where/who I bought the bag from, but they had different priced bags. I went with the least expensive. From the description of the other bags, the highest priced bags had larger silver coins. But at the time was priced at $330 I believe. The bag I got was $120

I spent almost 2 months going through the bag and identifying the coins. The kids enjoyed helping out too.

If I could find someone selling more bags at a good price I would get more of them.
Learn More...
United States
14490 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2009  9:11 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is where I bought the bags: http://bestworldcoins.com
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2009  6:17 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too bought an 11kg from bestworldcoins. Later, I bought a 25 pound bag from a different vendor. I sorted them by country, and then by type, and kept the best example of each type. All of the extras were thrown in a bag, and I still don't know what I'll do with them.

I noticed the bestworldcoins' bag contained a lot of European coins, which makes sense. I eventually got sick of seeing so many coins from Poland and Yugoslavia. But there was also a good mix of coins from South America, Asia, and Africa. Overall, I was happy with it.

I've been slowly cataloging my finds in a spreadsheet. I don't have the bestworldcoins' numbers yet, but the other vendor gave me a total of 473 different types of coins from 105 different countries. I expect the bestworldcoins' selection to be similar or better. I'll write up my own results when I'm finished.

WheatieFan
Learn More...
United States
14490 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2009  6:38 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't been able to find any others sellers of Bundesbank bags. Do you recall the name of the other seller?
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2009  2:37 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second, 25 pound, bag of foreign coins I bought was not a bundesbank bag. It was just a large plastic sack of coins. The seller was "foreigncoinsandcurrency" from Arkansas, who sells on eBay and his own website. I also looked for other sellers of bundesbank bags, going so far as to run German sites through an online translator. But I had no success.

I remember someone posting that you knew if a bag was original by checking the stitching. My bag was not stitched shut, it was cinched closed with a whitish zip-tie. I'm wondering if yours or others' bags were closed the same way.

WheatieFan
Learn More...
United States
14490 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2009  3:10 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bags were not stitches but secured with a zip-tie.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1204 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2009  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm trying to find a pic of canceled DM2 coins...

Here is one for example:
http://www.muenzauktion.com/franz/p...shop0437.jpg

And yes, the DM coins (at least the Cu-Ni pieces) went through a "decoiner" first. This way they could later be shipped/transported as scrap metal.

You can still redeem any DM coin or note ever issued, but due to the lower volume they do not use those decoiners any more AFAIK. However, that redemption policy has never applied to coins of other currencies.

Christian
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2009  5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BestWorld Coins -- $3 for a threepenny bit? Wow. Expensive. I've got a lot of extras. Maybe I should put them on sale, along with the rest of the extra English and Irish coins I have....
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2009  7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr Finger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive had a lot of luck buying in bulk with black mountain coins..
I found a few minor silver coins and some older dates of which the oldest was around 1913...They seem to be the best deal around and free shipping
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MArainman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a 25lb bag from Black Mountain Coins for about $170. I found some interesting varieties but no silver and certainly no gold. I did find quite a bit of WWII era coins which really interested me. Sometime I might post the best of the bunch. 85% were regular issues and duplicates and 70% were from the last 15 years. Lots of Mexico, western Europe, and Japan. But, if you're after the thrill of the hunt, I'd recommend it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05