Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 WIDE AM Cent Found by Billy Crawford!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  6:47 pm Show Profile Check chuckster 125's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

WOW!!

Just read it over on the Lincoln Resource Community Website- He found it a couple of days ago- it also has a 47 degree die rotation error on it.

Beautiful coin- Congrats to Billy Crawford!

*Start re- checking all your 1996 P Lincon Cents etc.!

*Tried to import the discovery over to here,but can't,
maybe someone else can get it over to here.

you can read the whole story-
The Lincoln Resource- Wide Am/Close Am- then click on 1996 Wide Am- etc.!

Edited by chuckster 125
01/12/2009 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is right! Is it really that rare, or just that somebody bothered to check? I'll certainly keep my eyes open for that one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  7:54 pm  Show Profile Check chuckster 125's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the story- his is the only one found so far!

He noticed the die rotation error first,then looking closer, he realized it was a Wide Am! Unreal.

That's why I check BOTH the Obverse and Reverse on every coin

I wonder what gets missed by not turning a coin over?
Learn More...
United States
14564 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  8:00 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's funny, when I get a handful of change, the first thing I do is turn the coin over and look for die rotation.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early US copper enthusiast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I watch ALL dates for this very reason. Important lesson...if you want to be the one to discover ANYTHING new, you have to stop assuming that everything worth checking has already been checked. I mean 'you' as a general term, nobody specific intended.
Valued Member
United States
499 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ziggy9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second that!

Richard
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GoBotRocker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way to go Billy.

Between updating my Cheet Sheets and photographing my coins, I'm gonna need a clone to actually search for my next find. 5:30 am does'nt sound so bad anymore.

Happy Hunting
Pillar of the Community
United States
9259 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have said several times when someone has said that the wide AM is only on the 98, 99, and 2000 that those are the only ones known SO FAR. You have to check for it on EVERY year from 1994 on because it could happen in any year once they started using different hubs for the proof and business strikes. Same thing goes for the proof cents. A close AM is possible on all of them as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
792 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brefos77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/...6WideAM.html

Brad at LCR put this up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2009  1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I second that!

And you've earned that right. :)

Is your special coin find from 2007 sitting in any sort of holder? And if so, does it have any sort of designation on it showing that it was the first one found?
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2009  6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sfwusc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
crap!

Now I need to find a 1996 and 1999 Wide AM.

-SWUSC
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2009  07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would anyone really be surprised now if a 1997 Wide AM turned up?
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2009  07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If theres a 96. The would almost have to be a 97 SOMEWHERE...Im looking for it. Race to the find!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2009  10:13 am  Show Profile Check chuckster 125's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some one mentioned that over in the Coin Talk Forum- they heard that a single 1997 Wide AM had been found, but the coin was never verified as valid/legit etc. so who knows?

Anyway- KEEP ON LOOKING!
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2009  2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rbf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't do to much searching myself, but my uncle goes through at least 10,000 - 20,000 pennies per week. Believe it or not, over the past year or so of searching, he's managed to find SIX of the 1999 wide AM's so far. I figure, if more 1996's are out there, he will be the one to find them!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05