Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950 series $10.00 bill

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2009  2:08 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add curious to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I came across a $10.00 bill when I was cleaning out some things and it doesn't have "In God We Trust" on it anywhere. Can anyone tell me anything about this bill?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11052 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2009  2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF curious,
We need to know if it's a A,B,C,D,or E.Also if you could scan a photo of it and post it that would be great.I suggest you use Photobucket to upload the photo.
John1
P.S. You will find the letter under the date,also is it a star note?
What is the serial number?
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Edited by John1
02/08/2009 5:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Spain
1361 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2009  5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manilagalleontrade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2009  6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add curious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for taking an interest in my post.

It is not a star note.

The serial number is G52054858A

In the upper left corner is the letter D.

In the lower right corner is the letter D and the number 71.

I scanned the bill but the add image icon keeps coming up with the error that I need to be logged in to use that feature. I will keep trying to display the images as they clearly show the details of the bill and I had been looking it over with a magnifying glass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2009  6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, what John means is that if the note is 1950, 1950A, 1950B, 1950C, etc etc
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2009  7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got one not too long ago myself at the store.
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...=41710#41710
( this topic was moved, now the link should work. )
It's a 1950A Priest-Humphrey D Cleveland Reserve Bank
I would guess mine is probably worth $11.00 to $15.00 because of the condition. But fun to get money looking like this anymore.
Edited by TheNickelGuy
02/09/2009 09:41 am
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2009  8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add curious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know anything about the art of collecting money, sorry to be so dumb.

There is no letter by the date all it says is 1950 Series. I went over it very carefully.

Do we know why the "In God We Trust" is not on the bill?
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2009  9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dillon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1956, the Cold War was in full swing, and the anti-Communist suspicion of the McCarthy era was at its peak. Partly in reaction to Communism (which was commonly associated with atheism despite being merely devoid of an official religion), the 84th Congress passed a joint resolution to replace the existing motto with "In God we Trust." According to United States Code, Title 36, Section 302, the new motto officially displaced the original 180 year-old national motto "E Pluribus Unum" (Out of Many, One) when President Eisenhower signed the resolution into law on 30 July 1956. There was no law before 1956, and your note was printed in 1950, so that is why it dosn't have "in god we trust"!

For more information about it, check out this page!

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fa...-trust.shtml

I hope that was what you were looking for!

-Dillon
Edited by Dillon
02/08/2009 9:55 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11052 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2009  09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wheezydog,
Clicked on your link but was denied access?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2009  09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
wheezydog,
Clicked on your link but was denied access?

hmmmmm Sorry I don't know why, maybe it is archived?
anyway it is this image:

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2009  09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add curious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning everyone.

Were you all able to read Dillon's explanation re:no "In God We Trust" on my bill? When put in the historical context, then I understand what has happened. I think I will keep the bill with the other keepsakes that belong to the owner I was going through things for.

Eventually I will be posting questions on the coins that were with the bill, so I may be talking to you again.

I'm not at my own computer at the present but will try and post the images of the bill later, just so that those who are interested can see.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05