Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Classifying 1795 Coin | Sardinia 5 soldi

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Germany
2 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2009  06:38 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coincidence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello, I'm not a coin collector, so please excuse me if my coin is rather boring. I went to a coin shop to get some coins, since I'm a magician, and found this rather worn-out one here in a box of miscellaneous coins. Realising it being from 1795 it was interesting to me and brought it home. I spent some hours on the internet trying to find out what it was, but had no luck. Maybe any of you would like to help me with this?

Image: 1795coin-low.jpg
100.34 KB

The front side shows a bust facing right and the year 1975. The reverse side shows a standing figure, probably wearing a cloak. Only the lower part can be made out. There is a strong dent on both sides, it is actually the same dent, but since I rotated the reverse side about 180 degrees, putting the figure upright, the reverse side is upside down. The image at the bottom is a detail of the reverse side upper right, which I interpret to be "PAT" "PAL" or "PAI". On the bottom of the reverse side I think it says "SOL" which I assume makes some sense.
I'd be happy about any clues, this is quite exciting!

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Edited by Sap
03/04/2009 03:36 am
Valued Member
Poland
314 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2009  07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DagonX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and welcome!

I think that your coin might be 5 soldi from Sicily 1795 (C#51).

Obv. VIC.AMED.D.G.REX.SARD. Below, 1795
Bust right
Rev. S.MAURITIUS.PAT.TOT.DIT. In ex., SOL.5.
Mauritius with standard

Mint:Turin
Copper
Edited by DagonX
02/21/2009 07:07 am
Germany
2 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2009  09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincidence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the quick reply, the researching and the welcome!!
Well, seems I didn't find a treasure there, but I'll treasure it anyway and find a nice place for it in my living room. :)
Thanks again, cheers.
Learn More...
Australia
11175 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  03:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a minor correction to DagonX's post: the coin is from Sardinia, not Sicily.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Poland
314 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2009  06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DagonX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just a minor correction to DagonX's post: the coin is from Sardinia, not Sicily.

Oh yes, of course it is Sardinia I don't know why I wrote "Siciliy"
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05