Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Danbury Mint and Pres dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2009  11:12 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add soldier4Christ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

How many people think they are getting a great deal?

Quote:

While our supplies last, you may get in on the ground floor of this important collecting opportunity by signing up to receive the first issues (minting has already ceased) and the new issues in this landmark series.

You will receive a roll of 12 George Washington Presidential Dollars in gem-brilliant uncirculated condition, sealed to ensure their protection plus a single encapsulated Washington Dollar in the same condition...13 coins in all. Then, every two-to-three months, you'll receive the next coin in this landmark series honoring each deceased U.S. President in the order of his service to the country.

With your third shipment, you'll receive a FREE deluxe hardwood display designed specifically to showcase and protect your collection.

Prompt action is strongly advised. Item Number: 8682-0032
$34.95(plus $4.95 s&s)
1 Payment of $39.90 per shipment

Sorry! This item is currently on backorder and will not be available until March 8, 2009. You may still order this product and it will ship 1-2 weeks after that date.

I'm watching the infomercial right now... it is really sad these people could sell some people their own land. Ugh I have to change the channel it just gets under my skin.

Thanks,
Brad

Pillar of the Community
United States
3992 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2009  11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
39 dollars for 13 dollar coins They have stopped minting
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2009  11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
FREE deluxe hardwood display

DELUXE! AND FREE!

By the way, I think the mint has found more J Adams dollars because once again they're available for Direct Ship
Edited by wd1040
02/25/2009 11:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "Danbury Mint" is just cut from the same cloth as "The Franklin Mint"....."The New York Mint"....."Home Shopping Network"......"The Washington Mint".......etc. etc. etc.

Your absolutely right my friend it IS disgusting...........PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM ! ......
If they can't do any business.....they'll be OUT OF BUSINESS....and our "sport" will be the better for it !!.....
Edited by eaglefoot
02/26/2009 09:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen this one yet. It makes me wonder what kind of person comes up with these so called deals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8807 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The "Danbury Mint" is just cut from the same cloth as "The Franklin Mint"....."The New York Mint"....."Home Shopping Network"......"The Washington Mint".......etc. etc. etc.

Your absolutely right my friend it IS disgusting...........PEOPLE SHOULD NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM ! .

And you can say the same thing about most non-essential products. This is a country that lets Madison Avenue convince them to pay a premium to flavored water (soft drinks), then convinced them to pay even more money for plain water in a bottle because it was "healtheir" for them, and is now being convinced to pay EVEN MORE money to buy plain water with flavorings in it (So Be Life water etc) Ever buy a pack of hot dogs at the store? Every buy them at a coin show or a ball game? Why? you could have them so much cheaper at home. Fix a steak on the grill? Pay for a steak out at a restaurant? Why go to a restaurant when you can get the same product so much cheaper another way? But you don't see people clamoring to close down concession stands or restaurants, or force beverage companies out of business. "Ask your doctor about....." My $3 a month medication for my diabeties is doing just fine. Why should I ask him about a $150 a month medication?

It's all advertising. Sometimes we let ourselves get suckered and sometimes we don't. I go in with my eyes open, and I don't ask you to shoot the ones the fool me or which I knowing choose partake of.
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soldier4Christ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Legal and Ethical are two different things entirely.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus with the food examples provided you are paying for the convenience.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2009  2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MtnCoinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If Store A offered product X for $10.00 and Store B offered product X for $50.00 but put a one cent sticker on it and put it in a fifty cent box, wouldn't you call that an unethical rip off?

Comparing your food analysis, my wife takes two to three hours to prepare dinner and she makes $25.00 an hour (RN). So paying 50 to 75 bucks to have someone else cook it, deliver it, do the dishes and wait on me is sure worth it, any way you look at it.

As to your water analysis, some municipality water is SOOO BAAADDD, that even filtered, it tastes like it came from an outhouse. The pipes the water travels in may be 50, 60 or even 70 years old, who knows what condition they are in.

These so called "mints" are just ripping folks off with highly exaggerated claims and "el cheapo" products. They make you think you are buying a Ferrari but you get a Yugo. Understand?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8807 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2009  10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Plus with the food examples provided you are paying for the convenience.

And with the Danbury mint you are paying for the convenience of them gathering them up and sending them to you so you don't have to run around finding them.

Quote:
If Store A offered product X for $10.00 and Store B offered product X for $50.00 but put a one cent sticker on it and put it in a fifty cent box, wouldn't you call that an unethical rip off?

No. because no one says I HAVE to buy from store B. I can comparison shop and buy it elsewhere.

Quote:
Comparing your food analysis, my wife takes two to three hours to prepare dinner and she makes $25.00 an hour (RN). So paying 50 to 75 bucks to have someone else cook it, deliver it, do the dishes and wait on me is sure worth it, any way you look at it.

So you eat out every night so you don't have to pay your wife? Or is it you pay your wife $50 to $75 every night you eat at home so as to keep the money in the family.

Quote:
As to your water analysis, some municipality water is SOOO BAAADDD, that even filtered, it tastes like it came from an outhouse. The pipes the water travels in may be 50, 60 or even 70 years old, who knows what condition they are in.

That can be true, but I having only run into one so far. So that doesn't explain the nation wide obsession with bottled water that didn't exist 20 to 25 years ago. And sure there are cities with old water lines. Those in New York city are well over 100 years old and their water is considered some of the best tasting in the country, and they still buy tons of bottled water.

Quote:
These so called "mints" are just ripping folks off with highly exaggerated claims and "el cheapo" products. They make you think you are buying a Ferrari but you get a Yugo. Understand?

Than I look at it, look around, see that they are really offering a Yugo and go don't buy.

I'm saying if you buy something just because it is advertised, and you blindly just let the advertising take you away, because EVERY advertiser exagerates his product, then it is your fault not the advertisers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2009  12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree completely with Conder. Even with these coins, it is convenience and marketing.

There are many folks that just want to subscribe to a coin series, have it show up in the mail, and occasionally take out the set and look at it. The pretty packaging is part of what appeals to them. They don't want to learn anything more about the coin collecting hobby. And they don't want to hunt for coins.

Unfortunately, some of these people believe they have something that is worth more than what they paid, but it is what it is.
Edited by steve199
02/27/2009 12:27 pm
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2009  1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terror Of Zanarkand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That really is deplorable. The things some of these companies do should be illegal,but sadly they aren't. As long as these people keep putting the right spin on things like that, they're going to have buyers, and they'll eventually hurt the hobby because of how many people will never buy coins again once they realized how bad they were screwed. It's really sad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2009  2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, comparatively then, ......what IS the best price for the Obama coin then ?
Or the best price for the Nation of Liberia Minted World Trade Center Commemorative Silver Coin ?
Or the best price for the Gold Plated State Quarters ?
Or the best price for the Platinum Plated State Quarters ?
Or the best price for the Silver 2009 PR70 DCAM Barack Obama Republic of Fiji 2-coin Set ?
And what resource do I use that's readily available (book, magazine, etc.) so that I can look up the values of these products and so many others like them too numerous to mention, so that I can compare and watch it increase and/or decrease through the years ?.....

That's what I meant by "wishing these so called Mints were out of business and hurting our sport".....

The F.D.A. kind of puts the Kibosh on "miracle drugs" nowadays with Federal laws.......with claims like taking shark cartilage pills will cure 3 kinds of cancer. Or sea weed kelp tablets will cure liver or kidney disease....etc.etc.
There have always been "Snake Oil Salesman".......but in the old days they used to hang em' high......or tar and feather them.....throw them in jail......beat them.......or at least run them out of town.
There will always be people who look for ways to sell something to somebody and put money in their pocket and they'll look for it in ANY kind of situation for sure.......it's the "lowest level" of this that we all hate though.
A Federal Oversight Committee for coin selling companies will never likely happen, just the Secret Service looking for counterfeiters or private companies labeling products as "U.S. Mint affiliated" when they're not. It's just buyer beware out there really IMHO.

"Life is hard, harder if yer' stupid"........(John Wayne)
We'll all learn lessons as we go through life too.......sometimes you just need to get burnt before you learn not to reach into the fire !.....some people will never learn and will get burnt 17,000 times in their lives. Sometimes laws are put into place to protect people from getting taken advantage of in the first place.
But "within the law", I'm afraid there will always be a "New York Mint", and a "Home Shopping Network" and a "Liberian Mint", and a "Washington Mint", and a "Collectible America", and a "Littleton Coin Company"... etc. etc. etc.......and they'll offer you ANYTHING that they think you might buy or make you believe will be well worth your money......so in that sense Condor......I agree with you.
Edited by eaglefoot
02/27/2009 2:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2009  2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A Federal Oversight Committee for coin selling companies will never likely happen

I hope you're right, and apparently you hope you're wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2009  3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
.....NO NO NO !.....I'm a Republican !......
I do NOT want a Federal Oversight Committee AT ALL !...Capitalistic Freedom my friend !.....just pointing out that some bad does come with the good......only through education and common sense do we all cautiously proceed in areas unfamiliar to us....everyone travels at their own peril, as long as it doesn't blatantly risk life or limb or scam "all" of our money, it's our decision to buy or not.......IF YOU'VE A NOTION FOR A "MONEY MAKING IDEA", BY ALL MEANS....SEEK THE PROFIT I SAY !.........(A certain Mr. Maddoff comes to mind...)
Edited by eaglefoot
02/27/2009 3:20 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05