Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need info on a 1776 William moulton NH copper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  12:54 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Chapel679 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

hello guys I need a little info on this coin .I found a 1776 New Hampshire William Moulton colonial copper coin . I am in the process of trying get it looked at .I got a whitman's Red Book and it talks about it .this is what it says word for word ..
[[New Hampshire was the first state to consider the subject of coinage following the declaration of independence. William Moulton was empowered to make a limted quality of coins of pure copper authorized by the state house of representatives in 1776. Although cast patterns were prepared, it is believed that they were not approved. Little of the proposedcoinage was ever actually circulated. Other purported patterns are of doubtful origin. These include a unique engraved piece and rare struck piece with large initials WM on the reverse....
Thats what mine has on it . The WM with American Liberty around the outer edge.If anyone can maybe see from the pic if its the real deal or not it weighs 4 grams even . thx

Image: William Moulton 1776.JPG
70.58 KB

Image: William Moulton F 1776.JPG
80.74 KB

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey welcome to the forum I am going to check the WAlter breen ENCYCLOPEDA it may take a while
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  01:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chapel679 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx alot . I found it under My great great grandfathers house that was built in late 1800's . Im going crazy wondering if this is the real deal or not. the one that was approved with the harp on the back is going for $25000 this one should be more rare than that one I would beleive. Since it was never approved.thx again
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  04:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really you have me curious. I havent found anything yet but still looking..
Forum Uncle
Learn More...
United States
2883 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Chapel679. I hope its real[:p] Take a look at these sites, then do a google search for... "1776 New Hampshire William Moulton colonial copper coin" Tons of info out there. Good luck!!Mike

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/Col...s.intro.html
http://www.coinsite.com/content/cda...rchive31.asp
Forum Kid
Kuwait
1523 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thekidcollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If its real, your a luckyman!
I never have that luck :P
Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1251 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add humpybong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chapel679...a big welcome from "down under".

Look forward to reading posts from you, enjoy your stay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good I am glad some one has something for you Because I have nothing . I looked in every book I have.
Forum Uncle
Learn More...
United States
2883 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chapel679, Was that info of any help to you? Any coins minted(more likely engraved) as pattern cents by William Moulton are very rare. The sites have some great information about the budding coinage in the colonies. Please keep us posted! Mike
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5795 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chapel679 and welcome to our Coin Community family!

If you have a 2006 Red Book Guide to US Coins, you will find info on your coin on page 55. In Very Good condition, this coin shows a Red Book value of $25,000. This is the exact quote from the 2006 Red Book:

New Hampshire was the first of the states to consider the subject of coinage following the Declaration of Independence.

William Moulton was empowered to make a limited quantity of coins of pure copper authorized by the State House of Representatives in 1776. Although cast patterns were prepared, it is believed that they were not approved. Little of the proposed coinage was ever actually circulated.

Other purported patterns are of doubtful origin. These include a unique engraved piece and a rare struck piece with large initials WM on the reverse.

Hope this helps.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chapel679 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx alot for all of your help and research ,I found out theres a coin show in new orleans tomorrow there should be like 40 dealers there im sure one of them could tell me if its the real deal or not.At least im hopeing....I will let you guys know what I find out .. thx again
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2006  2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eawsurf777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one of those 1776 WM coins too, the same one in the pictures and cant find any info on it. If you find out any information about it please let me know.
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5795 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2006  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Eawsurf777 and welcome to CC. I deleted your email address as we encourage responses to be made on the forum and, by posting your email address publicly, you run the risk of non-members getting it and using it for spam.
Rest in Peace
United States
3730 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2006  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gary Burke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to both new members.

I sure hope the coin is for real.

If so, what a find, whether it's sold or treasured as part of your collections.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05