Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Removing tape residue from coins?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Frankenstein
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  5:09 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Frankenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Greetings all;

I'm working on updating my Uncle's coin collection (I inherited it after he passed away) and I've run into a slight snag. It seems he used masking tape to hold some of the coins in the old blue books he use to use. I've picked up a new album and I'm in the process of transferring most of the coins over. Most of the coins he taped in are newer and somewhat easy to replace but there are a few key dates that I haven't been able to come across as of yet (1911, 1977 & 1979 Quarters, 1944 dime and a few others). These are all circulation coins so the quality may not be that high (I'm relatively new so I don't know much about grading as of yet...). What would be the best thing to use to remove this old residue? Mild soap and water doesn't seem to cut it. I know lighter fluid and goo gone work to remove sticky residue but I don't know the effect it may have on coins. Is acetone the way to go or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Frankenstein
04/28/2009 5:36 pm
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gopher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A gentle soak in finger nail polish remover, about 1 minute, run under warm water, pat dry with a soft cloth, repeat if neccesary......... will do the trick.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2544 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  5:59 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fingernail polish remover is not pure acetone - it has softeners and other agents in it that could harm the coin or leave a residue that will. Pure acetone is the way to go if you're going to put it in anything. Just be careful - it's flammable. The fumes are nothing fun to breathe, either
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11077 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  6:23 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Distilled water is the best way to start with tape or glue residue, some kinds are water soluble and will come off after a soak of a few days. If water does not seem to touch it, then the next step would be to use acetone. DO NOT use finger nail polish remover- it contains dyes, perfumes, denaturing agents, and sometimes not even acetone(many nail polishes use a solvent called MEK).

It can be obtained from most hardware and paint supply stores and is even available in some pharmacies(at least in the US). Always do an evaporation test in a clear glass container- if no reside is present after evaporation, then it can be safely used. A soak of a few minutes or less should do the trick. Always remember to work with acetone in a well ventilated area away from all ignition sources. Acetone is generally not harmful to your skin but it will make it quite dry and leathery so try to minimize contact.

One thing to note- after a soak, always rinse the coin with clean acetone otherwise your residue will still be on the coin in a diluted form.
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
04/28/2009 6:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  7:02 pm  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try good ole Peanut Butter, works every time. Just place a small dab on the coin and let sit for appr. 10 minutes. Then rinse under hot water, buy make sure your wearing gloves not to burn yourself.
Before you know it, all the sticky residue is gone. I'd like to find out who put the sticky tape on the coin in the first place, so we could find the fella and beat 'em up!....................LOL

Glenn
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gopher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no finger nail polish remover in Canada which uses MEK as a base? Go look at the active ingredient of a finger nail polish remover. Every label will say....may contain small amounts of acetone.........At these levels it is fine on your skin.........acetone (pure) is not. The MSDS dictates that. The perfumes etc are non-caustic. And 4 the biochemist amongst us MEK is illegal in Canada. MEKP is used every day. Think then type.
United States
2544 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  7:39 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no finger nail polish remover in Canada which uses MEK as a base? Go look at the active ingredient of a finger nail polish remover. Every label will say....may contain small amounts of acetone.........At these levels it is fine on your skin.........acetone (pure) is not. The MSDS dictates that. The perfumes etc are non-caustic. And 4 the biochemist amongst us MEK is illegal in Canada. MEKP is used every day. Think then type.

Oh, I'm sorry, were you wanting this for your skin? I thought we were discussing tape residue on coins. My bad.
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Frankenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I guess if the coin was taped to your skin...

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
593 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IBGolden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boys, boys... please ok. There's so much crap goin' on in this world, we need to come here and relax. Really.

Anyhow... the tape thing.
Since I got started collecting from buying junk at spot... with elastics rotted into bars, and decaying flips, and tape and gunk and such coated coins... I used to use WD40 to remove tape residue then rinse with alcohol then water. I've even used lacquer thinner. This stuff has not much numismatic value over spot. I'm happy with the results.

... but I've since changed my evil ways... acetone first. I've never really scrubbed anything though, just repeated rinsings and pat dry. So I wasn't a total buffoon after all. Even though at the time the surface didn't really play much part in what I collected.

btw... I've heard up to 6 hours is the expected surface life of this swine flu virus. Gives coin cleaning a whole new meaning. I'm a poet and I don't even know it! So, I'm hyped to comment on someones "typhoid Mary" coin thread, but I ain't startin' it!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Olive oil is a good solvent for tape residue.
I use it all the time. A lot of antiques especially plates have masking tape on them for many years. I soak them in olive oil and the residue comes right off. You should leave in oil for a day or two. Remove oil with soap and water, rinse with distilled and pat dry. You do not have to scrub!!
Also I agree do not use nail polish remover. You should be able to pick up pure acetone(MEK or Methyl Ether Ketone) at the pharmacy.
Good luck and would like to see before and after pics
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gopher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, another recommends pure acetone? Have you ever looked at the MSDS? Finger nail polish is diluted <<<Insults Removed >>> LOL No Drug store sells acetone. If you buy it at Canadian Tire........it is regulated in quantities because of the use in drug labs.. 2 funny
Canada
45 Posts
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2009  11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gopher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gee, gloves, googles/visor etc every thing a coin collector uses? <<<Personal attack removed >>>

We are here to teach and learn. I think it's in the best interest of the forum that you do the later
-Forum Moderator
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11077 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2009  12:02 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Think then type

Excuse me That was rather rude and condescending...

What I typed specifically applies to the US, I have no idea what is available or illegal in Canada. In the US, most nail polish removers have fazed out usage of acetone and the most common ingredient is MEK. Acetone is also widely available in the US at hardware stores and pharmacies, that is completely factual. You do not need to lecture me on an MSDS, I am thoroughly versed in the usage of acetone and I have a degree in Chemistry to back it up. The small quantities needed for conserving a coin, less than 50ml, do not necessitate the precautions designed for the handling of commercial quantities.

Your attitude is not going to last very long around here

If acetone is not available as a solvent, you may want to try 95% ethanol(commonly referred to as 190 proof grain alcohol) or isopropanol(rubbing alcohol).
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
04/29/2009 12:14 am
Canada
45 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2009  12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gopher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad, all the acetone people are from the USA. Other than IBG. Still it is wrong without proper protection.
Valued Member
Canada
94 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2009  01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FrostCross to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to use straight acetone in the garage cleaning out motorcycle gas tanks after hydrochloric acid rinse to remove rust.
Splashed it many a time on my fingers and it rapidly absorbs or evaporates leaving a cool feeling to your hands.No Immediate rashes or anything wierd happened but will probably use gloves next time heh heh.
I need to remove some tape from a "Manitoba Is Happiness"Token....Cuz it had tape on it from when it was made but since let loose.
So do I use Water Soak First then olive oil?Would use "pass through" cleaning but don't have a dog lol.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05