Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany.1915 J. Silver. 1/2 Mark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  12:57 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JDsmith45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Profile;
1915 J (Hamburg)
KM #17
1/2 Mark (.0804 oz silver)
2,205,000 minted
Au_55-Ms_60 (?)

This is the only coin I have in my German Empire collection. It was a great way to start though. I found this at a coin shop down the street from me for half of its catalog value. Sadly I couldn't find anymore that was this beautiful. If any knows of some good sources for these types of coins, let me know. I'm interested in all eras of German coins and currency.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

We have quite a few German coins (especially from the Weimar era) experts so hold on tight!

Also, being minted in 1915, isn't this one of the last small coins to be minted with a precious metal?
Learn More...
United States
13319 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  01:50 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, to the community. Nice coin to start your German collection with. There are still a lot of these coins available. If you do a search on e-bay for german coins you will find a lot there.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
746 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1/2 Marks were minted up until 1919 in this type, 1 mark coins were also minted, though until 1916. Due to the system in Germany the coins over 1 Mark were like Euro coins, the regional side and then the German side. Only a few of these were minted after WW1 though.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JDsmith45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the warm welcome. Personally I don't find the designs for these coins to be particularly attractive but I enjoy them enough to want to build a respectable collection. I think my drive comes from the fact that it will be quite challenging to complete such a set (including all denominations). Perhaps a lifetime could be spent trying to find all the different dates and varieties. Hopefully the 1 pfennig coins of Germany don't have as many variations as their American counterpart. Oh, forgot about the German states too. Now those designs, I like. I would live a fulfilled life if I live to grow a beard as equal as those that show up on some of those designs.

Here are some details from the obverse design

Edited by JDsmith45
05/21/2009 06:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Germany
746 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, Germany is bad if you want all the coins.
Pfennigs
1873 has A,B & D, the last two are rated as €2000 a piece in perfect condition, €300 in not very good condition.
1874-1876 have A,B,C,D,E,F,G and H
1877 has A and B
1885 has A,E,G and J
1886-1889 have A,D,E,F,G and J

That is a total of 59 1 pfennig coins from 1873 to 1889.

From 1890 to 1916 there are about 150
Then 1916-1918 there are 10, 1918 A and F being around €3000 for a poor example and good examples, well, they are rare.

So that's only about 220 coins.

Then goes the weimar republic, then the Nazis, then the Bundesrepublic with 1966 to 2001 having 5 examples each, plus a few more earlier coins.

Good luck, not sure if one life time is enough though. You should come over to Europe and go to a few shows, that is probably the only way of doing it.
Unless you actually just go for one of each design, or one from each mint, it might drive you insane!
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JDsmith45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah, Germany is bad if you want all the coins.
Pfennigs
1873 has A,B & D, the last two are rated as €2000 a piece in perfect condition, €300 in not very good condition.
1874-1876 have A,B,C,D,E,F,G and H
1877 has A and B
1885 has A,E,G and J
1886-1889 have A,D,E,F,G and J

That is a total of 59 1 pfennig coins from 1873 to 1889.

From 1890 to 1916 there are about 150
Then 1916-1918 there are 10, 1918 A and F being around €3000 for a poor example and good examples, well, they are rare.

So that's only about 220 coins.

Then goes the weimar republic, then the Nazis, then the Bundesrepublic with 1966 to 2001 having 5 examples each, plus a few more earlier coins.

Good luck, not sure if one life time is enough though. You should come over to Europe and go to a few shows, that is probably the only way of doing it.
Unless you actually just go for one of each design, or one from each mint, it might drive you insane!

yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It would be fun though. All of this and not to mention the gold denominations. But I would still rather pursue this than try to complete a set of Lincoln Cents.....all of those varieties make the back of my eyes want to revert to secluding into depths of my cranium. Oh, and a few questions.

when did the German Empire era of coins begin? (i've heard 1871-1918 but I would like to make sure)

does anyone know if there is an official term for the main design of the obverse of a coin?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1248 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hhbkiddo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello JD smith

here is a good read:
it is called Moneysworth
it is a magazine published in Austria. You can also subscribe to the online version of it. (www.moneysworth.at)
It has everything in it you always wanted to know about german, austrian and swiss coins. every coin ever legally issued is there together with catalogue prices, starting from 1873
UNFORtunately, it is only in German.
the publisher, Volker Weege, is very knowledgable in german coins and is an expert in German Gold coins, he is also a court appointed expert for german Gold coin forgeries and has written several books.
hope this helps a bit
one more thing... collecting ALL german coins.... you will have to live 3 lifes...
I suggest you limit yourself to certain years... and go for the TOP, like high MS coins... it can be very rewarding..$$$$
Oh.. there are numerous different versions of the obverse . it is always a Eagle, feathers spread until 1906.
the most expensive is: 5 pfennig-1896-G ( actually issued with G in 1897)in VF ist is about $ 24,000, in EF about $ 50,000.
hope you have a couple stacked away...lolololo
HHB
Pillar of the Community
Germany
746 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1871 was when Germany was formed as a country. 1918 was the end of the Kaiser and his buddies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2009  12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
Good luck on the collecting.
Check my avatar!
My German collection is a collection. Just everytime I saw one I picked it up. So I got a little of everything - the good and the bad.
I never went crazy(debatable) trying to collect types or years. Just when I saw one that I liked, I picked it up( if I could afford).
Best of luck
Pillar of the Community
1176 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2009  09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is called Moneysworth
it is a magazine published in Austria. You can also subscribe to the online version of it. (www.moneysworth.at)

Hmmm, I think you meant MoneyTrend: http://www.moneytrend.at/

Two other German magazines, also available online, are "MünzenRevue" and "Münzen & Sammeln". See http://www.gietl-verlag.de/zeitschriften/ A few sample pages are free; if you want to view or download the entire issue, you need to pay. (Less than what they want for the printed issue though.)

Then there is MünzenMagazin, but that may be less interesting for people who do not collect modern German coins. http://www.muenzenmagazin.de/ Selected articles are available online (free); for the rest you would have to buy the printed magazine.

The "Deutsches Reich" coins were minted between 1871 and 1948. Coins from today's Germany (Bundesrepublik Deutschland) were first made in 1950, or 1948 if you include the period between when the currency was reformed and when the Federal Republic was founded.

Christian
Edited by chrisild
05/24/2009 09:22 am
Valued Member
Australia
432 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2009  11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zaggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And if you're going to get into German Coinage, you can't not track down a copy of the Jaeger Katalog - Die Deutsche Münzen seit 1871 by Kurt Jaeger (any of the editions since 2001/2 will be fine unless youre into Euro's too); you don't really need any other Katalog (altho the Beckenbauer Katalog is pretty good, as is the Schaaf Proben Katalog)...
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2009  12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JDsmith45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And if you're going to get into German Coinage, you can't not track down a copy of the Jaeger Katalog - Die Deutsche Münzen seit 1871 by Kurt Jaeger (any of the editions since 2001/2 will be fine unless youre into Euro's too); you don't really need any other Katalog (altho the Beckenbauer Katalog is pretty good, as is the Schaaf Proben Katalog)...

Great feedback everyone, these resources are gold.

I will take a look for that catalog, Zaggy. Right now I am limited to my Krause catalog as far as publications go, but that doesn't help with anything minted before 1900. Another reason I enjoy these German coins is because I have a fair understanding of the language. I may have trouble with the Austrian magazine though. I am currently in my 6th year of German language study. What I do not understand will be easy translated, it only takes time.

I think I'm going to aim at putting together a type set of sorts. I can build a more specific collection after I learn more and find out which coins appeal to me. I do not have any interest in Euros, that's an entirely different beast to tackle. I also have to interest in gold denominations....because I have not enough money....maybe later though.

I'm searching for some "1 mark" examples at the moment. They seem to have an equal value between all dates (1900-1918). Maybe i'll have some new additions to post before the day is over.
Pillar of the Community
1176 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2009  2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Jaeger costs €24.90 (printed version), or €12.50 (online/PDF version):
http://www.gietl-verlag.de/online-b...2/122//.html

If all you want is approximate values/prices, each issue of MünzenRevue for example lists the prices of the German, Austrian and Swiss coins, plus the euro coins from all countries. Fewer details, fewer photos though.

Prices of the 1M coin vary, depending on year, mintmark and grade of course. The "small eagle" type (1873-1887) goes up to about €7,000 - the "max" for the large eagle (1891-1916) is €3,400. In a few cases the catalog simply says "LP" (list price), so expect to pay more. But of course, if you don't need each and every year/MM combination, you can easily stay in the one-digit range as far as the price per coin is concerned.

Christian
Valued Member
Australia
432 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2009  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zaggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What chrisild says.. :) The only killer on the Jaeger Katalog direct from Gietl-Verlag, is postage; but Gietl-Verlag do at close-to-cost postage if I remember, so its not like you can do much better unless you can get it via a US distributor! A Jaeger is invaluable :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05