Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Green stuff on pennies

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learjet
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2006  6:02 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Copper sulphate?

Anyway what do I do? I know cleaning is frowned apon but if I don't will the green stuff eat the coin more than what it already has?

If cleaning is needed what method do you recommend? I've read water, detergent and a soft toothbrush might work.

Image: greenpennyj.jpg
41.14 KB

Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
1205 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2006  6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RenaL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you ask me; blow a little air on the coin and leave it as it is
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1091 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2006  7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add toast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same problem.
Amd I got a few answers in this thread...

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...OPIC_ID=4804
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2006  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks toast.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11055 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2006  01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding your question "what is it?", verdigris is apparently a complex mixture of copper compounds. Carbonates, sulphates, sulphides, oxides, hydroxides, anything odd like that in the air or environment can get sucked into it.

Yes, it will continue to "take over" the coin unless you seal it in an absolutely airtight container and never take it out, and yes it is "contagious" - any other copper/bronze coin kept in contact with it for awhile will start to turn green too.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2006  04:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like horrible stuff. And to be honest it puts me off collecting coins that are most vulnerable to this "disease", at least for predecimal coins.

Which coins are most "immune" to verdigris? I've seen it on post war florins also, I guess because of the copper content. So to speculate further I should be looking for coins with the least amount of copper in them? Like early pre ww2 silvers or to rid of copper completely the early sovereigns?

If true I know that narrows my field down but that's okay as it also gives me a direction to concentrate on, if you know what I mean. The risk of verdigris kiling coin value is more of a risk than I want to take.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11055 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2006  07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most coins are relatively safe from the "green death". As you say, high quality silver is immune, and most of the modern alloys probably are OK too. It only takes hold fairly slowly on bronze coins. Pure copper coins are the worst for it; I understand that even the slabbing companies are reluctant to permanently certify their condition.

Bronze coins normally only see it if they've been exposed to the open environment (buried, stored under the house, kept on the windowsill, that sort of thing) for awhile. Coins straight from circulation or that have been sitting nice and safe in a collection for years are usually quite safe.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05