Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Quarter variations

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
mrwisker
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2009  1:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mrwisker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm just looking for information an different die varieties and errors on the state quarters.(maybe other quarters)
I have a couple hundred of them, and wanted to search them out a bit better before cashing them in.
There is a lot of detail on the backs of some of them and knowing where to look would be nice
If there is a site or thread...point me in the right direction

Valued Member
Canada
285 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2009  1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rikcando to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it will let me post a link due to my newbie status, but if you call up google and type in 'state quarter error advisor', the first site should get you some of the info you are looking for.
http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.c...-errors.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2009  11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best thing to do is learn what the normal designs look like and search the coins for anything out of the ordinary. I would venture to guess there are still a lot of doubled dies that remain unreported. A list of what's known would probably have you missing more than would find otherwise.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8246 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2009  2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. I don't know how many times I have heard people say "Gosh that's a neet error. I wish I could discover something like that" and then they proceed to look through their coins only checking for what has already been reported. If there is a Wide AM 1997 cent out there, you will never discover it just looking for Wide AM's on 98, 99, and 2000 cents. If there are no doubled dies reported on the state quarter you are looking at, don't toss it aside, look it over carefully you might be the person to discover one.

But in order to do so, like Coppercoins said you have to KNOW what normal coins look like, and understand the minting process so you will know if what you are seeing on a coin is from the minting process or just a form of damage.

And if your first discoveries get "shot down" don't get discouraged. The mint does an extremely good job of producing an error free product. You are much more likely to find a damaged coin than an error coin.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2009  10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's impossible to list them all here.

There are many "doubled ear" obverses. These are doubled dies and are not just machine doubled.

Not in any particular order, you have the:

High leaf , low leaf varieties on the Denver Mint, Wisconsin quarters

Minnesota "extra trees" varieties (I think there are better than 120 different ones.

There are some Oregon quarters with extra tree limbs.

There are doubled dies on the New Mexico quarters that have to do with the center of the design on the reverse.

Washington D.C quarters: Duke Ellington has extra fingers on his hand or extra keys on the piano. Both are doubled dies.

As far as errors....

Utah quarters are known to have CUDs to the right or left side where the locomotives are closest to the edges.

And on and on....

I hope this gives you a few places to start.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by foundinrolls
07/29/2009 10:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2009  5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add russellhome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've done lots of State Quarter DV hunting - and it's pretty easy to figure out where to look. Probably 99% of the known varieties involve doubling within a small area at the center of the design. To my knowledge, only the Oregon Quarter DDRs (Die 1 and Die 2) involve doubling away from the center. I've found minor varieties in at least 1/3 of the State quarter designs - including 1999 Delaware and 2008 Hawaii. I've found an equal number of interesting die clashes as well. So if you have lots to search through, I'm sure you will find something to make it worth the effort. The only down side is that most varietes found have been from the Philly mint. So if most of your quarters are from denver, your finds will be fewer and far between (but perhaps more valuable?).

Searching circulated rolls by the box, I've just about filled a roll worth of Wyoming DDRs (saddle horn). Most are just specs of doubling, but some are pretty decent.

Across many designs, I've probably got close to a roll of double earlobe varieties. Most are very minor, but I have found a few standouts... like this 2005 P MN DDO...

Of everything I've found, my most interesting discovery is a 2001 P NC "Extra Hair" DDO. It is listed by Wexler as WDDO-001.

For an online reference, James Wiles/CONECA has about the most comprehensive listing of State Quarter die varieties. Here is the link to his Variety Vista site...

http://www.varietyvista.com/Split%20Image.htm

But as Bill said -- there are probably lots of undiscovered varieties out there, so don't limit yourself to checking only known varieties. You might just discover a few new ones! Good luck.
Edited by russellhome
07/31/2009 5:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as the doubled dies that Russellhome shows, there's a decent likelihood that fewer than ten percent of all the doubled dies made have been located and reported. It is a waste of time (in my opinion) to get a "list" of the known dies and only look for those. There are many possibilities that are completely skipped by a "known die" list.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2009  3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add russellhome to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up this 2009 P Guam DDO on eBay recently. Of the 20 (or so) different Washington quarter 'earlobe' DDO varieties that I have, this one is among the boldest.

In my earlier post, I mentioned die clashes. Since every Quarter minted since 1999 has involved multiple reverse designs every year, it has been kind of fun to see what new form a die clash will take. I see lots of minor clashes -- but I keep the bolder ones. Here are a few of the more interesting clashes I've found...

State of Washington Clash

New Mexico Clash

Alaska Clash

Maine Clash

Die clashes do not have a great collector following -- but IMO the bolder ones are worth a few bucks and are worth hanging on to.
Edited by russellhome
08/05/2009 3:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10359 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2009  6:40 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also a Kentucky cud.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 10. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05