Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

i need some help

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
kbird
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  03:13 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

hi im new to this sort of thing and I have a few coins and notes that I need some info like are they worth any thing ? or would they sell? or even a site were I could find this sort of info it would be great

i have the following coins:

1946 half penny
1930 one penny
1958 penny
1957 penny
1943 penny
1897 half penny
aus shilling 1954
fiddef 1955 one shilling
aus 1952 shilling
1920 shilling
1957 shilling
1958 shilling
1951 shilling

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  04:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the CCF.

You have not given enough info for members to assist you eg your 1930P..is it an Aussie penny or is it a penny from elsewhere.

We need you to post clear scans/photos of the coins you are seeking assistance.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11058 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  05:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and Welcome to the Forum. For information, you've come to the right place.

First up, what country are they from? You're from Australia, so we'll assume most of them are from there, but (for example) the 1897 one has to be British; Australia wasn't making coins in 1897. The silver ones that say "FID DEF" are British too. Australian ones always say "Australia" on them, though on the early silver coins it can be hard to find on the little scroll below the coat of arms - though the kangaroos are a bit of a giveaway.

Second, what condition are they in? Obviously, bright shiny coins that were put straight in a drawer and left there for 50 to 100 years are going to be much scarcer (and worth much more) than ones that you found in the garden.

If you need help in grading them, grab a copy of the Macdonald "Pocket Guide" and read the part on "Coin Grading Terms", or take some digital pictures or scans of a few of your coins and post them in the "Coin Grading Practice" area of this forum.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add humpybong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome to the forum kbird.

If you can load some pictures it would help us to identify.

Hope you enjoy your stay here and start collecting in your own right.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kbird...please accept my apologies for deleting your second thread. As the subject matter of that thread was the same as this one, I was trying to move it over to the Aussie Forum where you would have received more attention there. Somehow, I deleted it instead.

Once again my apologies.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A warm welcome to the forum.

Happy to help aswell.

Australia
11058 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was working on it while you deleted it, Lim. Here it is:

kbird said:
i have not go any camra or scanna to post photo's of my coins but I will try a describe each one if you then could help me then and tell me if they are worth any thing or not thanks

back:
australian 1958 penny with kangaroo
coin colour is copper
front:
elizabeth 11 del gratia regina f d
a face of a woman
very clear illastration
back:
half penny 1897
man sitting hold a fork
back:
victoria dei gra britt regina fid def ind imp
face of a queen with a crown
copper very clear illastration

back:
1930 one penny

with man sitting holding long fork
copper
front:
georgivs v dei gra britt omn rex fid def ind imp:
mans with face hair
very clear illasration

back:
1957 australian penny
with kangaroo on front and with a small kg imprint above kangroo's tail .
gold coin

front:
elizabeth 11 dei gratia regina f:d:
face of a woman

i have a more coins and notes
i dont know much about coins and note or what there worth so I need all the help I can get
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks sap.....you are a life saver...that is one I owe you.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

The highest value coin would be the 1920 shilling.

The rest are common date coins, therefore have no great monetary value.

Great starting point for a collection.

Take Care,
Lars
Australia
11058 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, let's see what we've got here. Without pictures, I can only assume the coins are "typical condition". Note that prices here are catalogue prices - that is, what you'd expect to pay if you bought one off eBay or a coin dealer. If you went in to a dealer's shop to sell them you'd be lucky to get half that. May not seem fair, but the dealer's got a family to feed, too. Australian values from the Pocket Guide, foreign values from the Krause catalogue (it's American, so those prices are in US dollars)

Coin 1: Australia 1 penny 1958. CV (Catalogue value) $1 in Very Fine. Note there are two varieties to look for, though they're worth the dame: the Perth Mint variety has a dot or full-stop after the word "penny", Melbourne mint has no dot.

Coin 2: Great Britain penny 1897. CV 75c in Fine. It's actually a picture of Britannia (a female) holding a trident there.

Coin 3: Great Britain 1 penny 1930. CV $1 in Very Fine. Pity it's not Australian - you've probably heard about the extremely rare "1930 penny"? This, sadly, isn't one of them.

Coin 4: Australia 1 penny 1957. CV $1 in Very Fine.

Now for the shillings: All the Australian ones are made of silver, so with the silver price "going great guns" they're not worthless. The Pocket Guide dates from last September's silver prices, so may be obsolete by now. But here's what it says:

Australia 1 shilling 1952 and 1954: CV for both is $3.50 in Very Fine.

The British shillings dated after 1946 are not silver, but cupronickel (like our 10c coin) and aren't going to be valuable unless they're uncirculated. It's at least worth 10c from a vending machine! [:p]

Also note that from 1937 there were two different designs on British shillings: the "English type" and the "Scottish type". For George VI, the English type has lion standing sideways on a crown, the Scottish type has a lion sitting on a crown holding two sticks (actually a sword and sceptre). For Queen Elizabeth, the designs changed to English: three lions on shield and Scottish: one lion on shield

Not that there's usually very much difference in value - the British made so many coins that there aren't to many "rare ones".
Australia
11058 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regards to the 1920 shilling: If it's Australian (with the coat of arms held by a kangaroo and emu) then it's one of the harder-to-get types: CV is $32 in Fine. If, however, it's British (lion standing sideways on crown) then it's not as scarce: CV is $2 in Fine.

Just a note regarding the values: condition is everything. if it's "worse than typical" (that is, worn nearly flat, bent or corroded) the value is much less, if it's "better than typical", it can be much more valuable. An Aussie 1920 shilling in Uncirculated or "mint fresh" condition has a CV of over $2500.
Forum Mom
United States
5795 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2006  09:01 am  Show Profile Check Susanlynn9's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kbird and welcome to our CC family!

I have moved this thread into the Aussie section where I think it will get better visibility and more responses.
Knowledge...the key to collector success!
ANA #R-1216999 | FLY-IN #1474
EAC #5255 | CONECA #N-3902
Please take a look at our CCF and eBay coin and currency auctions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2006  12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
welcome to the forum
Spain
8 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2006  5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raulillo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi:
welcome Kbird, hereanother new collector
regards
raulillo
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05