Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 WAM?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  1:45 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add motos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

3rd topic for today : P

I'm a little excited because I may have found a 1998 no mint mark WAM
Can this be confirmed? My first scan at 600dpi didnt show the clear space between A and M which I can see with my naked eye. I did a second scan at 1200 dpi with noticeable change in quality. The scan doesnt fully represent the A and M separation but I can vouch for that with naked eye. Another point of interest that my novice skills have become aware of is the FG placement which CAN be seen on the scan to be very close to the building.

I hope there is good news to follow... my excitement is high

Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a wide AM. Note the spacing between the M & E and the designers initials on this coin and a regular 98 cent.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add motos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
awesome!!
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add motos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
while doing further research on this subject of WAM, I came across the 1998's which noted that there are mint marked ones and there is a no mint mark one. I don't have a mint mark on mine, would that be the "Phantom D". I assume Phantom D refers to a coin struck in Denver with no mint mark? Is this correct?
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bill069 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it's the photo, but the space between the A & M seems smaller then the M & E. For it to be a WAM the space needs to be equal, yes?
Edited by bill069
08/01/2009 2:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin was minted in Philadelphia. No wide AMs exist for the Denver mint.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add motos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bill069, its the photo, it doesn't seem to want to show the clear space that I can see in real life.

What are these worth, like 3 bucks?
Valued Member
United States
480 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bill069 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad for you that it's the photo!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9675 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wide AM
Here's a photo I took showing the difference between the spacing of designer initials:

Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add motos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooh, good reference pics DVCollector
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, way more than $3! A 2000 WAM, the most common, is around $5, so this has to be more.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2009  4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add motos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i figured $3 because the front isn't in awesome shape and the back isn't great as well. I dont know how to price these things.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2009  12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either way, very nice find!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2009  12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1998 WAM's are in the $10 to $15 range. It's the 1999 that you really want to find (about $100-$150 depending on condition).
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2009  03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coin_Guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, sure looks like one! I found my first one last week and was so excited, although they are not worth very much. Great job.
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2009  09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MikeThePenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this pic is close up but it is a 1998-P penny.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05