Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Coins and Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

How to tell if its Proof?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jays-Dad
Pillar Of The Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2009  4:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jays-Dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I buy a lot of "junk" lots. I love em. Sometimes I get a little silver, sometimes I get other stuff. I recently got a junk lot from Austria. I got 3 which really seem proof to me. They are REALLY shiny. What else can I look for to know if they are proof? If these coins are BU then they are "worth" (according to Krause) 3X more than proof, so I'd actually rather they be BU, but...how to tell?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3160 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2009  12:19 am  Show Profile Check swamperbob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually, but not always, proof dies are identifiable by the way the dies themselves were finished. The fields on proof coins are normally polished and will lack any fine lines from grinding when viewed under magnification. Proof dies are POLISHED to remove fine grinding lines and any other stray contact marks. It is also customary in some countries (like the US) to put a slightly different finish on the recessed portions of a proof die. The raised details on the coin in that case come out frosty. The first strikes from a new die pair will look the best. The frosty surface wears off quickly because of metal flow on the surface. The preparation of the proof die actually involves a slight mechanical or chemical erosion of the surface to produce the "matte" effect.

Some proof coins will also have a slightly different appearance at the edge of the coin - the striking pressure is higher for proofs and the impression is deeper resulting in a higher often wire like rim. Some proofs feature a wider collar to create a nicer edge detail.

All of the features may or may not be present on any proof and at times the clues are very indistinct. You really need to know the characteristics of the mint involved. If the coin has "finger" lines caused by the mechanical fingers that place and remove the coin - it is a business strike.

As I noted above proof dies are also used at a higher operating pressure on presses that run at much lower speeds and often strike a planchet multiple times. Two strikes are standard for US proofs. This means the dies wear quicker (producing fewer coins) before retirement. Until recently many mints used "worn out" proof dies to make business strike coins. If the dies started out identical (no changes in the design for proofs) - then the products can not be distinguished once in circulation.

But at times, proof dies DO have a slightly different design from the business strike dies. This has been done at various times to sharpen certain features of a coin for collector sets. US quarter dollars struck in the 1960s are a classic case. When this happens you can often ID coins made from old proof dies that were used to make business strikes before their final retirement.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2009  09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me guess, the 10 Groschen? I've noticed that the more modern versions of this coin have mirrored fields. I figure it must be the way that they prepare the planchets. The funny thing is that I also have an older proof version that doesn't look as nice modern business strikes.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05