Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Illegal to ship coins through the mail

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2006  9:18 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Iwas just at the post office today , and was told it was illegal to ship coins through the mail, the lady showed me the guide lines and so on. has anyone ever heard of this .. She did let me send the packages anyway, but it bring up a point about insuring items and listing what is in the box onn the little slip. I would say dont put that there are coins on it. to prevent theft, however in the event of items being lost or stolen, And then trying to claim the money that you insured it for. How are you going to get money for insured items that are coins that they think is something else.. any thoughts on this..

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6747 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2006  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Iwas just at the post office today , and was told it was illegal to ship coins through the mail

Hmmmmm....

She should read the Domestic Mail Manual

I mean, it's only her job.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2006  9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay know the lady who helped me sid it was illegal period which doesn't really make cents(excuse the pun). Know I was shipping an International package as well as one in the states, so I dont know if that was pertaining to the International one or domestic.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6747 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2006  9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Okay know the lady who helped me sid it was illegal period

See this is the type of stuff I love.

I would walk in there tomorrow and ask her to pull out the domestic mail manual and go to section 4.1 / G.

Then I would ask her to explain why they would pay an insurance claim on a coin based on fair numismatic value if they're illegal to ship.

Have fun!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2006  9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow .I am now Bowing Sir Bobby,LOL..(That is alittle positve sarcasm) I cant qoute sections and numbers so I have to easily assume you are right and thank you for that education. she was just a sweet old lady who I assume now just made a mistake . And truly I dont know either way untill now..
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6747 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2006  10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Check the link I posted above, it goes right to it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2006  10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did read it thank you you are right, I appreciate the education, now I can quote that too her next time if needed.
Learn More...
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Fred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby and ScoutJim, as has been mentioned a thousand times before and is constantly reinforced almost every time I go into the Post Office, postal employees are the worst trained "public servants" in the Federal system. The USPS may also have some of the most stupid employees in the system. I just relocated from my wintering area in the Arizona desert to my summer feeding grounds in the Arizona mountains, went down to my post office to put a vacation hold on my PO Box, ran into the new Postmaster (my PO has had a 200% turnover of employees in the past year) who informed me that a vacation hold is good for only 30 days, even after I advised her I'd be checking my box every two weeks. I checked out the online manual and she was right: vacation holds are good only for 30 days. BUT, what she did NOT tell me is that there is no requirement for Box holders to put a vacation hold on their mail if they will be away. The PO is simply required to hold my mail until I pick it up. Next trip, I'll have her tear up the yellow vacation hold form.

She also decided that I had to pay the $26 annual box fee - which I wanted to do from the beginning. A paid PO Box gives me a little more leverage when I change locations, but not my mailing address (I'm a fulltime RVer for those who don't know). However, because there is no rural delivery to my actual "street" address, regular (small) PO Boxes are supposed to be at no charge. Who knows what the next Postmaster will decide?

If mailing coins is illegal, there's tens of millions of people doing it. I wonder if it's illegal to mail stamps since they're also a form of currency...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If mailing coins is illegal, there's tens of millions of people doing it. I wonder if it's illegal to mail stamps since they're also a form of currency... I would not doubt it....LOL
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2220 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You see, the reason why coins are banned is because of the monetary value. Originally it was banned worldwide to prevent counterfeiting of one's country's banknotes and / or money laundering. And as coins are of monetary value, it is banned as well.

Here is one interesting fact: if you looked at the world's most overpriced gold coin in the world compared to it's bullion value, which is a hefty 100,000 JPY coin minted in only 20 gram of gold, or if you like, 450USD for that 0.643oz of gold, or 900 dollars in face value!! Imagine sending 10 of those! Great fraud time!
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  08:08 am  Show Profile Check Joeyuk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Joeyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been my understanding you can not insure money. Pay someone with a $100 bill and insure in for $100. But a collectable can be insured. An old $100 bill could probly be insured if sold as a collectable if it had an established value over face.
A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because her trust is not on the branch but on it's own wings. Always believe in yourself
Pillar of the Community
United States
2894 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  08:42 am  Show Profile Check TheForce's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How does the post office know your mailing coins? I can understand knowing about the international packages.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3147 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crystalk64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess the Mint has been violating the postal laws for years now? I mail packages all over the world and I never use the word "coins" or "money". It is always "collectables", "tokens", numismatic items or hobby supplies. I very seldom insure as you will more than likely get taken to the cleaners when they find out you lost coins? I do believe firmly in "CONFIRMATION of DELIVERY" or Registered Mail to many countries. You just have to learn to play the game! Oh, in my opinion the word "INSURED" stamped on a package is the same as "Please Steal Me to see what is inside"? It makes the package a target should they ever cross hands with a postal thief!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tpatna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I get my proof sets via USPS every year...? If the US Mint can do it so can we :o)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1395 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the Mint and others like Littleton have a special "permit". The Government does like to get those extra bucks for permits. And, they love the fine print - as we all know ofcourse.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2006  10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rbachman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just love those Post Office workers. I've heard stories that I couldn't believe!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05