Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Definition of DCAM?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2009  10:30 am Show Profile Check traevin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add traevin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Probably a dumb question, huh?

Jen

If you haven't noticed by now, I don't proofread veery well and I apollogize profusely. (;>D
Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2009  10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deep Cameo
The term applied to coins, usually Proofs and prooflike coins, that have deeply frosted devices and lettering that contrast with the fields - often called "black and white" cameos. Specifically applied to those 1950 and later Proofs that meet deep cameo standards (DCAM).
Learn More...
United States
22108 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2009  11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably a dumb question, huh?
There is no such thing as a dumb question; everyone has to start somewhere. .
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2662 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2009  11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of people pay lots of money to third-party coin grading services
to ask if they have "DCAM" Proof (or Prooflike) coins...
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Pillar of the Community
United States
2657 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2009  12:59 pm  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jen,

No dumb questions here ... that's in the by-laws.

Deep Cameo (DCAM) is a term applied to proofs and Deep-Mirror Proof-Like (DMPL) is applied to circulation strikes. It is a simple as black and white. The devices (lettering, profiles, eagles, etc.) have a satin finish and do not reflect light the same as the mirrored fields. If you hold a DCAM coin at an angle to the light source, the devices will shine white from all angles and the fields will only reflect light to your eye at one angle. So when viewed with the light not reflecting into your eye, the fields appear almost black and the devices almost pure white. This contrast is highly desired in proofs and only comes from the first coins off new dies. As the dies wear the satin finish on the devices wears smooth and the reflective properties are more like those of the fields.

Nothing beats a picture to better 'splain things. Here are two DCAM coins (one silver and one gold). Note the dramatic contrast between the fields and the devices. Hope this helps.

So many coins, so little time ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2009  2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jcook54 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, no such thing as a dumb questions. If there were I would be guilty of asking them all the time. When you come across terms like that (there are a bunch) you can check the glossary link on the toolbar at the left side of your screen. Whenever I go through it I see terms and definitions that I've never used or seen. If you can't find it someone in these forums will know and maybe even add it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2009  8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a dumb question. I didn't know it either.
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2009  10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hippiebrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are no dumb questions! I always say that I'd rather ask a question and sound dumb than keep my mouth closed and act dumb! We're all here to learn, and being a fellow newbie, I have a lot of questions too, and the people here have always been quick and eager to answer. That's why I love this place!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2009  08:30 am  Show Profile Check traevin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add traevin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jcook54,

Thanks for the glossary tip :)

Jen
If you haven't noticed by now, I don't proofread veery well and I apollogize profusely. (;>D
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsShop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05