Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Getting the molds out of brass

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Nic
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2009  11:02 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It's a 1945 Republica Peruana Brass coin, 5 centavos value, and 17.3mm diameter, I find interesting and would want to make it more presentable.

What method, by your experience, can clean or take out these molds? thanks!

Edited by Nic
11/08/2009 11:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
859 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2009  01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This topic was some where on another forum that I cannot place right now but here is the link from that forum. It is a very good site to learn different methods of coin cleaning.

http://metaldetectingworld.com/clea...n_coin.shtml
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
13211 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2009  03:46 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nic, here is a web site that will explain what is going on with that coin and how to correct it. http://www.classicalcoins.com/bronze_disease.html
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2009  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add purecopper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometime letting in sit in a bit of vinegar for several hours takes the mold out of coins.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12522 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2009  6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Some time ago I had some coins that were all messed up one way or another. The nickels were polished to a mirror like finish. The large cent was corroded, stained, potted with stuff like yours. One Lincoln, the 1919 also was covered with something. The Indian Head was really full of something green and black.
All were placed in the same glass jar for a while with Olive Oil. Eventually all were dumped in Laquer Thinner for a few days or more. Not sure. Then rinsed with Alcohol and placed in a clean jar of Acetone and left on a picnic table for a long time. Slowly water was added to this since there was a post about the dangers of water and Acetone and Copper coins. Eventually all were removed, allowed to dry, placed on the inside of a kitchen window sill for a long time and still there now.
Not all almost all the contaminations are gone. Although the Indian Head cent still has the black stuff on it. The Large Cent and the Indian Cent have both turned an actual RED and are still getting REDER. This is not the so called Cent Red people say, this is really RED. The 1919 Lincoln now is clear of whatever was on it but now really dark. LSQ really came out the best I think. Almost looks like a normal coin. Nickels lost that mirror look too.
Since these were all free, nothing to really loose.
I would suggest just experimenting if you don't mind people saying things like wow did someone claen this coin.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2009  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, info much appreciated, d23 that is a great site! thank you for the link. just carl thanks for the pic, the 1845 coin still looks great!
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2009  8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
echizento thanks for the web site link

Quote:
Bronze disease will not spread to other coins, unless an infected coin is in direct contact with them

I'll have to isolate this coin, and there's even a name for it! "Bronze disease" - dissolving copper from the outside going in and going out!

summarised procedure per the web site: brush mold off with nylon brush,toothpick off stubborn parts, rinse with distilled water and bake below 250F to get moisture out. Thanks -will do
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12522 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2009  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll have to isolate this coin, and there's even a name for it! "Bronze disease" - dissolving copper from the outside going in and going out!

summarised procedure per the web site: brush mold off with nylon brush,toothpick off stubborn parts, rinse with distilled water and bake below 250F to get moisture out. Thanks -will do

I hope your kidding. Do not bake any coins. The heat will do more than just get rid of moisture. Actually enough heat on a coin in the presence of Oxygen will create fast toning, corroding, tarnishing, etc. If you want to get rid of moisture on your coins, just use a blow dryer on warm. NO EXCSSIVE HEAT.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11124 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2009  7:38 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not mold, it is verdigris. There's a big difference.

My book will be done eventually. I hope it provides collectors with all the information they need to know about verdigris.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2009  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just an update, here's the same, but now, semi-cleaned coin, the yellow color somewhat faded and there's a violet tint, don't know where that came from.

Opinions and comments welcome, Thanks!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
12522 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2009  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Starting to look decent. What have you tried so far. That blue color may vanish with further dipping in Acetone or Laquer thinner. Nothing to loose as this stage.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11124 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2009  8:02 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now it looks harshly cleaned. What did you do to it?
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar Of The Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2009  8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, I think it does, just used nylon brush,toothpicked off stubborn parts, rinsed with distilled water and then... the green mold was still there... so I thought of vinigar, worked well before with copper.

submerged it in coconut vinigar, swished it around for only 15seconds and rinsed again, tap water.

that violet tint just suddenly came up, without that tint, it would be ok

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05