Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

NIFC Kennedy Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2009  4:58 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chris12018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question:

The Red Book says that the 2001p was not issued for circ., and 21,200,000 were minted.The Red Book also says that 1,116,915 were used in mint sets. With that being said what happen to the rest of the 2001p (20,083,085)?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1648 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2009  5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't answer your question with facts. I can only say that quite a few 2001P have made into circulation. Imo, too many to have come from opened mint sets. If they truly weren't released for circulation by the mint, then many people who bought bags and rolls from the mint put them into circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2009  5:39 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rolls and bags sold by the Mint. In fact, they were still being sold until the Mint cleared out their old catalog material last year.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2009  7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bill069 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that may be a mistake, I believe it was 2002 when the halves are no longer available for circulation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1648 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2009  8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously with the number minted, they were intended to be released. But from what I hear from other members here on the forum....they never were. The mintage figures drop drastically in 2002. The mintage figures were high on the 2001P, and I figure there are alot of them around. I consider 2002 the starting point for the current NIFC.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2009  8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RHM22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When minted, the 2001-P half dollars were not intended to be released. Soon, however, the mint discovered that collectors had no intentions to pay above face value for a business strike coin with a very high mintage, so many millions were released into circulation. It's similar to how some of the classic commemoratives were dealt with when sales figures were lacking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2623 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2009  10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just like the 2001-P Sacagawea Dollar, the 2001-P JFK Half was struck
as a circulation issue, but the powers that be changed their minds
after the coins were minted.

2002 P and D Sac's were struck as circulation issues as well, but
the mintage was halted early, so they 'became' NIFC coins. 2002 JFK's
and 2003 Sac's are the first 'struck-as-NIFC' coins...

The 2001-D JFK's were circulated in the western U.S., and I got four BU
2001-D JFK's in my change that same year (yes, I still have them).
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Pillar of the Community
United States
2104 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2009  6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris12018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You All, That sheds alot of light on the subject.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2009  10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both the 2001 P and D halves were originally intended to be circulation pieces and they were made up ahead of time based on the number of coins the Fed had ordered from the Mint in the previous few years. Some of the D mint coins were released and very few P mint coins. Then the Fed announced that they had plenty of half dollars in stock and they were not going to be ordering any more of them from the mint in the foreseeable future and they returned the 2001 coins on hand back to the mint. In 2002 the mint began selling rolls of half dollars and dollar coins as well as the state quarters. They sold both 2001 and 2002 halves that year, but naturally didn't sell out the 2001's. They continued selling the 2001's every year since then through the inventory blowout in 2008. Some of the purchasers of the bag lots did search them and then dump the rejects at the bank.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2623 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2009  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One reason why the Fed branch in Denver released 2001-D JFK's, is that
Half-Dollar slot machines were still in use in the mountain gambling
towns (Black Hawk, Central City, Cripple Creek) in 2001. Those have
been replaced in the last few years by $1 (26.5mm) coin slot machines.
Some Half-Dollar slots were converted to 26.5mm Dollar coin slots.

A few times when I have spent BU Golden Dollars, the cashier assumed
that they were leftover gambling money! "Oh, you've been up on 'The Hill' ! "

JFK searchers in Denver still frequently find worn 1980's-1990's
JFK's that were used in those Half-Dollar slot machines. They're
just perfect to put into Salvation Army kettles.

Our mountain towns still use coin-operated slots down to the (1)
"Penny Slots", if anything the Penny Slots are more popular lately
because of the bad economy!
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Edited by DNA
12/21/2009 12:43 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05