Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

List for Jefferson Nickel Errors

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
freshcurrency
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  4:34 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add freshcurrency to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi again,

I have another nickel question. Is there somewhere I can find a list online that tells the different errors and varietys for Jefferson nickels, particularly 2000 and newer? I've gone through pages and pages of search results, but I can't seem to find anything. Thanks for your help.

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
11079 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  4:50 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An error can occur on any coin at any time during production, there is no list for that. Die varieties are a different matter though. CONECA has a 2000-2007 listing with almost all from 2005. Ken Potter also has some pics available.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This web-site is a work in progress (IMHO) ... but contains the best listing of Jefferson errors that I have come across:

http://varietynickels.com/pages/jef...n-nickel.php

I'm interested in any other replies ..... would like to know for myself.

Question for you ..... why the interest in only 2000 and later?

Seems to me a roll searcher should know about the entire series ..... it's just as possible that you might stumble across a 1990-d No Designer Initials or a 1943/2-P war nickel. At least .... we hope to.

HTH

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2009  7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding to my earlier post a few moments ago ..... I dug out my 'newbie' listing of Jefferson errors/varieties that I made for myself from questions here at the CCF during my first 80,000 or so nickels searched ....

I am not a fan of looking for the tiny blips and blops that make up the majority of varieties ..... hence my lack of enthusiasm (so far) for searching cents ..... no disrespect for those who do .... but it's just not my thing.

I am interested in things I can actually see with my middle-aged eyes ....... so here is the list that I made for myself a while back ...... keep an eye out for these Jefferson's:

There are 5 dates of Henning Counterfeits ... '39, '44, '46, '47, and '53 A search on 'Henning' will find recent posts where members have found them. I started a post a few months back that summarized the 'best way' to identify them.

Look for the 2005-D "Speared Bison" mint error .... a die gauge problem.

Look for the 1990-D no designer initials coin.

There are reports of no mint mark coins from '68, '69, and '70. Grease struck-through problems.

There exists a great rarity in Proof condition .... the 1971-S proof with no mintmark. A thousand dollar + coin. I don't expect to find one in my rolls!

There are four (that I know of) mintmark varieties in the series ....

1942 Type I (normal composition) D over Horizontal D
1949 D over S
1954 S over D
1955 D over S

Lastly ... the series contains an under-valued and under-appreciated Overdate ..... the 1943/2-P silver war nickel. It should be worth a LOT more than current prices IMHO.

Soooooo ... there you go .... the benefit of my asking questions her at the CCF.

Alas ... I have not found any of the coins mentioned above ..... but hope springs eternal and I have 60 rolls of nickels sitting at my side to go through

Best

David

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2009  1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add freshcurrency to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the sites biokemist6.

Nickelsearcher, thanks for the dates and things to look for, and the web site listing. The reason I was asking about newer nickels was only because out of the 14 rolls I got a couple of days ago from the bank, about 6 rolls' worth were all 2000-2008 nickels. I had a little bit of an idea of what to look for on the older ones, but no clue what to look for on newer coins.

Thanks again to both of you for the help.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05