Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Why would anyone want to buy shredded Euro Notes?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Archraz
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3045 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  9:08 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just saw this on eBay. Why on earth would anyone want to buy a bag of shredded (and I mean really shredded) paper money for $100?
1. Why would you pay that kind of money for shredded notes?
2. Why would you want shredded notes?
3. Is it even legal to own shredded notes that were intentionally destroyed by Bundesbank?

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-000-Euros-in...nk_W0QQitemZ110340473974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPaper_Money?hash=item19b0ce0476

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1648 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why anybody would want to spend that kind of money on shredded cash. It could be legal I guess. I used to have a clear oversized pen that had shredded US currency in it. That was many years ago (wonder what happened to it). I guess if somebody purchases it, it will be for resale for use in a novelty item such as my long lost pen.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a bag of shredded money I bought in D.C.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder who put all the bits back together to count out the 50,000 Euro?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, ratman, I had one of those pens too. It was clear, kind of triangular in shape and had a black end on it. It had lettering on the sides that said something along the lines of "$20,000 in deminted US Currency".

Same as yours?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1648 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sounds like it! not really sure how much deminted currency it was...but yes it was triangular and had a black end!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3045 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ratman4762 & WpgLwr- Yeah, I think that I have seen pens like that before too. But other than having shredded cash for similar novelty items, what real purpose could the shred serve?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1648 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kitty Litter!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3045 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2010  10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ratman4762- hmm, good point! hehe
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2010  11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MArainman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I search rolls of essentially identical coins. I can sit for hours with my wife assembling a jigsaw puzzle. Perhaps this is the next logical step. Sounds like a fun way to make $72k. Do you think my bank would exchange Euros encased in a film of packing tape?

On second thought, there's a good chance I'll go mad before it's done. I'll pass.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11060 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2010  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Why would you pay that kind of money for shredded notes?

Novelty value, for the most part. The seller claims to ship it "direct from Germany", so it's probably more or less the same price the Bundesbank sells the bundles for.

Quote:
2. Why would you want shredded notes?

See above. You couldn't "reassemble" any of the notes; the confetti would be tumbled after shredding, so it's unlikely a particular 1 kilo bag would have all the pieces needed to reassemble any one note.

Quote:
3. Is it even legal to own shredded notes that were intentionally destroyed by Bundesbank?

Sure. The German Bundesbank has taken the lead in innovative ways to dispose of it's "scrap" material; their obsolete and foreign coins are bagged up and sold, and the same happens to their shredded notes, by the bag and even by the sackful, as seen in this recent Deutsche Welle article. The American BEP does the same; their 5 pound bags cost $45. The Bundesbank bungle there on eBay weighs about double the BEP one, so that seems to be much the standard price per pound for shredded money.

Environmental regulations in Germany prevents the Bundesbank from burning shredded notes. They've got to do something with the stuff; anything they don't sell has to go to landfill.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3045 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2010  8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap- I had wondered if their environmental regulations were preventing the burning of the shredded notes. Thanks for the input.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
585 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2010  01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add turtleoverhead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The shredded notes mixed with potato peels makes a very good garden mulch.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2010  02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! So that is how you get a money tree to grow!

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
585 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2010  02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add turtleoverhead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
exactly
Pillar Of The Community
United States
624 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2010  11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AGCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to any Fed bank and they hand out baggies of shredded money. My wife picked one up on a tour a few months back, I looked at if for a few minutes and tossed it in the trash. Right where FRN's are headed in the near future. The trash...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05