Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Gold colored quarter

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Siuol
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2010  11:55 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Siuol to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

One of my co workers received a gold colored quarter at the local grocery store the other day. Knowing that I have an interest in that kind of thing she asked me about it. It is a philly statehood quarter. Everything about it seems to be right except the color. I weighed it and it came in at 5.7 grams. Size and shape are the same as a normal quarter. Took some scans of it next to a regular coin, but they didn't come out the best. Dos anybody know what is going on with this?

Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2010  07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add trainhater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From one of those "Franklin Mint" sets or something off the Home Shopping Network. They colorize a years set of circulating coins and sell them for a premium. Someone figured out what it really was and put it to its best use and spent it.
It is worth $.25 though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
9840 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2010  08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like just simple toning.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Edited by John1
01/17/2010 08:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2010  2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell from a scan, but I can tell it's not an error. It's either plated or has something on it from where or how it was stored.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did a search first and found this thread about a gold toned quarter. The other night, my daughter and I were combing through a box of quarters and found this gold colored quarter. It is a Rhode Island quarter and the color is even on both sides. I can even see it on the edge. I guess it is possible that someone bought one of those franklin mint quarters and released it into circulation but that just doesn't make sense. Just wondering if anyone else has come across this. When I googled it, there was another post about someone who also found a rhode island quarter with this same color.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to also mention that I found another response and this persons description is similar to mine.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...82258AAp0veD

It has a bit of silver showing through at the bottom of the washington head and also a flaw where it looks like the sailboat was struck with a sharp object. Weird.
Edited by johnstac
05/27/2010 10:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collectall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one also.
Maybe they are gold plated or some kind of gold color material
Mine also is the same size and weight as a regular quarter.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8230 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2010  10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess it is possible that someone bought one of those franklin mint quarters and released it into circulation but that just doesn't make sense.

Sure it makes sense. They bought them and then when they went to sell them they found that no one would pay more than face value for them so they just dumped them. It happens. The Treasurer at one of my local coin clubs went to the babk a few months back to get change for his wife's business and got three solid rolls of gold plated state quarters. (all different states) Someone, might have even been a dealer that bought them for face off some TV buying sucker, had just rolled them up and deposited them.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10267 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2010  5:09 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or they were stolen and the bad guy wanted to dump them for the cash.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 10. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3493 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2010  01:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add foundinrolls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin in the first post is plated. I have seen many where the plating becomes compromised during circulation. That is what happened to the coin in the original posters post:-)

have Fun,
Bill
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05