Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What is the approximate value of a New Zealand florin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2010  2:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rareflorincoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What is the approximate value of a New Zealand florin Obverse George V Emporer, dated 1935 and 1933?

I would like to know the individual value of 1933, 1935 and 1934 New Zealand florins and shillings. Complete collection holds well over 100 coins.

Difficult to tell from some of their color whether or not one may be a proof. Total in circulation 735,000, 500,000 and so forth for shillings and florins.

Should I post images of some of these in the grading forum?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2010  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Images will be most helpful, because values are also based on the condition, or grade of a coin.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2010  3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rareflorincoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tip.

Formerly nancyc
Australia
3715 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2010  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to give you a rough idea, these values are from the 2008 edition of The NZ coin & Banknote Catalog:

NZ Florins:

Yr....Mintage....Av.Circ......VF....EF....AU.....BU

1933..2.1m.......$7..........$40....$90...$250...$700

1934..2.85m......$7..........$40...$90...$250...$650

1935..755,000...$7..........$70...$140..$450...$900
(Proof FDC $900)

NZ Shillings:

Yr....Mintage....Av.Circ.....VF....EF....AU.....BU

1933..2m.........$5..........$30....$80...$200...$500

1934..3.4m.......$5..........$30...$80...$200...$650

1935..1.68m......$5.........$45...$110..$350...$700
(Proof FDC $850)

Those values are of course in NZ Dollars.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rareflorincoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need a link to the database for New Zealand coins where those values are coming from. Thanks for any assistance you can offer!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rareflorincoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMPORTANT!:

New Zealand Mint exchange and bank notes catalog only list historical coins ranging from 1935-2006!

They claimed it went back to 1840 and it is nowhere to be found.

The Halfpenny coins I have uncovered are from 1931 and 1920 and are Queen Elizabeth the Second FIRST EDITIONS with the Roman emporer on the back holding a finely carved pitchfork and on the other a skipper's ship containing a mistake.

They go back before the official mintage period. How am I going to get the answers and what do I do?

No values listed here either...
http://www.omnicoin.com/user_view.aspx?id=vajaho

Is it worth somewhere between.....$15 and $50?
Edited by rareflorincoin
02/15/2010 5:23 pm
Learn More...
Australia
11225 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rareflorin, next time, you might attract more attention to your questions if you start a new thread - a thread titled "What is the approximate value of a New Zealand florin?" isn't where I would look for a question about halfpennies.

As to your question: New Zealand did not begin issuing it's own coinage until 1933, and didn't issue copper coins until 1940. The halfpennies with the "Roman emperor on the back holding a finely carved pitchfork" - it's actually Britannia, a female figure - and the halfpennies with the "skipper's ship" are British. You won't find them in a New Zealand catalogue or website. I don't know what "Queen Elizabeth the Second" has to do with either coin, since they were both well before her time as monarch.

Those dates of British halfpennies are very common - in typical condition, they're less than a dollar each.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rareflorincoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are British, what is the criteria for grading?

And as they are pure bronze in very fine condition, where do I find more information on their value particularly misprints?
Learn More...
Australia
11225 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2010  9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you've got lots of British coins to grade, this book might be of assistance to you. Subtract a grade level to convert from British to US grading standards.

As for a "database" of values for your British and New Zealand coins... there isn't a free-to-access one that covers all countries. To access prices on NumisMaster you have to pay a monthly or annual subscription.

Tony Clayton's website has a database of the commoner types of British coins; prices are in British pounds so you'll have to convert to US$. I can't find anyone online that specifically lists New Zealand coins.

The value of error coins - coins are struck, not printed, so such errors are called "mis-strikes", not "mis-prints" - depends on the nature and degree of error; there isn't a standard pricing structure for them. If you post a pic of the error coin in question, people can offer an opinion on it.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2010  02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rareflorincoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot. Clayton's guide was extremely helpful. If it is not Queen Elizabeth, these could be worth about $20 a piece in uncirculated very fine which it appears to be.

But, none of these guides answer the question about errors or mis-strikes. These were in the "variety" section so I believe there is a few errors of some type, and I really would like to believe there is a non-biased "error" mint guide out there somewhere. That's what I am looking for, a way to compare values due to these errors in the coins and see how high or low they appear.
Edited by rareflorincoin
02/16/2010 03:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
585 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2010  03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add turtleoverhead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The halfpennies with the "Roman emperor on the back holding a finely carved pitchfork" - it's actually Britannia, a female figure...

I love it, thank you.

Formerly nancyc
Australia
3715 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2010  4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I need a link to the database for New Zealand coins where those values are coming from. Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

The values I gave above are taken from this printed BOOK: 2008 Edition - New Zealand Coin & Banknote Catalogue, author Howard Mitchell. As far as I know, there's no website.

You can try contacting the author: howardm@ihugdotcodotnz

Give him a list of all the coins you feel are errors or varieties and see what response you get. The book mentioned above does have a few error/variety coins listed, but not many. He may just offer to sell you a current edition of the book.

A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Edited by Nevol
02/16/2010 4:41 pm
Valued Member
Australia
432 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2010  1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zaggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Halfpenny coins I have uncovered are from 1931 and 1920 and are Queen Elizabeth the Second FIRST EDITIONS with the Roman emporer on the back holding a finely carved pitchfork and on the other a skipper's ship containing a mistake.

OK, Queen Elizabeth II wasn't born until 1926 and didnt become 'QUEEN' Elizabeth until 1952. Half-Penny coins of this era should feature King George V.

As for the error, got a picture? We can give you more help if you show us what you're actually talking about (no offense, but your posts are a bit confusing, describing Monarch's that hadn't been born and roman emperor's - the Roman 'occupation' of 'Britannia', ended in aroun 400AD (Give or take; this is not my main area of Historical Interest), etc)...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05