Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How long to soak a coin in acetone?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
139 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2010  4:02 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stumpy041486 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

How long should it take to get tape residue off of a coin? I have a coin with alot of tape residue or something on it. Do I have to rub it or anything to get off, or will it just come off on its own in the acetone?

Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
1523 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2010  4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Halfwitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't ever rub a coin. It can cause the debri to scratch the surface. Depending on what it is it shouldn't take long,5-10 minutes to loosen it up if it is going to.Be sure to use an airtight container as acetone evaporates very quickly.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2010  5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LuckyDIme to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found that the GOOF-OFF and GOO-GONE works well for that type residue and it wont harm your coins. Sorta melts it off and makes it go away
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11350 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2010  10:53 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always follow the polarity ladder:

1) Water
2) Acetone
3) Xylene

I've seen tape that was soluble in deionized water. For any conservation project, that's the first solvent you should try.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
residual tape glue on coin comes in two forms: after just having removed the tape, the glue is still soft and pliable. You can rub it off with your finger or use a soft plastic eraser, the one used in art classes. Both eraser and glue is softer than metal so no fear of scratches there

The second form is when the tape has long been removed and the residual glue on the coin has now dried to become a hard encrustation, this is the tricky one, dont do any scraping, do that and it will surely guarantee real big scratches. Just immerse the coin in an oil bath to soften the glue, when glue is softened, then use the plastic eraser

Learn More...
Australia
11225 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's best to avoid any kind of rubbing, unless the goo won't come off by any other means.

If acetone is going to work at all, it's going to work pretty quickly. If it hasn't at least started to work within a minute, I doubt a longer soak is going to do much good. For stubborn goo, I prefer to agitate the acetone - stir it up (preferably not by a means that could damage the coin). I usually use an eyedropper or pasteur pipette to squirt a jet of acetone repeatedly onto the affected area while the coin is submerged in the acetone bath.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it's best to avoid any kind of rubbing, unless the goo won't come off by any other means.

I agree...and touching it with a finger could cause something much more annoying than a little goo: a permanent fingerprint.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11122 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2010  12:34 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Both eraser and glue is softer than metal so no fear of scratches there

Erasers contain abrasives, that is how they erase. Glue or tape residue can also have tiny bits of grit bound to it, any physical rubbing will create scratches/hairlines.
ANA R-3151318
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12917 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If acetone is going to work at all, it's going to work pretty quickly. If it hasn't at least started to work within a minute, I doubt a longer soak is going to do much good. For stubborn goo, I prefer to agitate the acetone - stir it up (preferably not by a means that could damage the coin). I usually use an eyedropper or pasteur pipette to squirt a jet of acetone repeatedly onto the affected area while the coin is submerged in the acetone bath.

Best advise. Just make sure the item used to agitate the Acetone is Glass and clean. And don't forget to flip the coin occationally.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2010  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stumpy041486 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the replies. I have had a coins soaking in acetone for a couple of days now. Some of the stuff came off, but not all of it. What is next GOO GONE, oil, xylene?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12917 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

thanks for the replies. I have had a coins soaking in acetone for a couple of days now. Some of the stuff came off, but not all of it. What is next GOO GONE, oil, xylene?

It may well be worth time to start figuring out the value of the coin versus the cost of all the stuff attempting to clean it. Also, your time doing this. If such coins are not worth a lot, continuous purchasing of chemicals just to clean a coin or two may not be a good idea. Also, note that as you progress in this cleaning process, you may also demimish the coins actual value if the cleaning becomes excssive.
Some tapes also dissolve in Alcohol. Note you can also purchse this from Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. Also, note the different strengths of that solution so if you want to try that, purchase the minimum of 70%. Soak the coin in this similar to Acetone for a period of time and then don't forget to rinse with distilled water.
Of course a Butane torch is sort of a sure method to remove sticky stuff on coins. Smalll arc welder torches work too but the coins tend to become a lump. On Copper coins battery Acid works too.
Just kidding you know.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11350 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  10:19 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Water, which should have been your first step.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
anything that does not come off in a few seconds in acetone will not come off with acetone.

time has no effect on the outcome.
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2010  11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have mentioned that thads approach and recommendations align with mine.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2010  06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomcorona to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lighter fluid works well and is similar to GooGone.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11350 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2010  1:33 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Tom, that is incorrect. Lighter fluid is a lipophilic hydrocarbon, namely butane (CH3CH2CH2CH3). It's mostly a mixture of the two butane isomers n-butane and isobutane. Whereas GooGone is cyclic, xylene based. They are NOTHING alike.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05